Steering on the right

mewhite

Cadet
I guess it is late, and I have had too much time to think. This newbie would like to know why the steering wheel is on the right side of a boat.

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Steering on the right

I think your right. It is late and you've had to much time to think. lol

In searching the internet, you will find tons of theories from Nordic influence, British influence, the way props rotate, throttles set up for right handed people, etc. I don't think anyone really knows.

Many large bridge yachts have the steering in the center.

My project boat, 81 Sea Ray Sedan Bridge, had the steering on the left. That's now gone as I am putting the steering on the right. Not for any of the reasons people are likely to post here. Its because the bridge is small, the ladder (converting to staircase) is on the left and it will make bridge access and layout nicer.

Hope you get a real answer, if there is one. Good luck.

cr2k

Captain

And I was always taught that there is no left or right on a boat. Just Port and Starboard. Most jet boat have the steering on the port side so go figure?

tpenfield

Staff member

Perhaps someone will know for sure . . . but the only reason that I can think of is that the 'port' side is the side where you normally would dock the boat. So, having the helm on the starboard side gives better access to/from the boat and less chance that the helm will be disturbed.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Steering is on the starboard to counteract prop torque on propeller driven boats, it doesn't matter with jet driven boats so they can put it on the port side. Center consoles are for people that can't make up their minds.

Ned L

Commander

This has been discussed a number of times. - The most logical reason today is that your starboard quarter is your 'danger quarter' in corssong situations with other boats - you have to yield to boats approaching from your starboard. So this gives the helmsman better visibility.

Thalasso

Commander

Steering is on the starboard to counteract prop torque on propeller driven boats, it doesn't matter with jet driven boats so they can put it on the port side. Center consoles are for people that can't make up their minds.

What about some of the boats that still put them on the port side? and there are a few.Mainly down east boats

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

This has been discussed a number of times. - The most logical reason today is that your starboard quarter is your 'danger quarter' in corssong situations with other boats - you have to yield to boats approaching from your starboard. So this gives the helmsman better visibility.

This is what I have always read and subscribed to, although like everything else, there are exceptions to the rule. There are cars with steering wheels on the right and even in the center. It has nothing to do with torque steer or else there would be no explanation for starboard mounted steering wheels in dual engine/duo prop boats.

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Historically, old boats (and I mean hundreds of years old) had the steering board located on the right side. This meant they had to dock on the unecumbered left side; the left side was always used to get into port. So the left side was for the port and the right side was for the steering board (starboard). The helmsman had to be near the steering board to control it.

The helmsman used his dominant right hand (most people are right-handed) to control the steering and thus steering was on the right.

When jet drives came along, most traditional boaters thought they were strange and best left alone, so steering was located on the left.:D:D