1979 tri hull help

I bought a 1979 thundercraft tri hull
14' and over the winter the deck at the very nose of the boat became soft.
I pulled the carpet away and it looks like someone patched it before possibly. When I put my weight on it, it sinks about a 1/4 inch

What should I do about this issue?
The rest of the deck is Rock solid.
How would one go about the repair?
I just bought an engine for this and now I find this.

rickryder

Commander
Re: 1979 tri hull help

I'm not seeing a patch job..... I see the fiberglass cap walkthrough area that someone cut....

Alot of manufacturers lay the carpet in before setting the cap on the hull.....

If you have some soft areas on your deck I would bet there is more rot below and waterlogged foam since boats rot from the bottom up....

What do you guys think I should do?
The only soft spot on the entire boat is right at the the cut on up. The rest of the deck is rock solid. If the boat does have rotted wood which I agree prolly does, can it still be used?
I just bought a 35 hp 1998 evinrude 3 cylinder.
I want to be safe not sOrry

Why would someone cut that small section of the cap?
If you look you can see the carpet under the cap and in front of that the fiberglass is a lot lower than the cap piece that is cut.
Are u sure that's not a patch?

rickryder

Commander

Really hard to tell from the pic and all the carpet glue....I guess someone could have cut it out and repaired it....

If it were me,I would take some core samples of the deck,transom and flotation foam. Post some pics of your transom on the inside and the bilge area. Lets see what you got there.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

+1 to what RR said.

In my years of fixing things I've found the quickest way to insanity is trying to figure out why the last guy did what he did. Now I just shake my head and move on.