rebuilt motor breakin?

John2037

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Okay motor is almost completely rebuilt - went .20 over cylinder bore, .10 crank and flat top pistons. New cam, intake/exhaust manifold, riser, exhaust, flywheel, oil pump, oil pickup and rods. I had the head and block cleaned and machined true. I would say this motor is as close to new as I can get so I don't want to mess it up.... On my 2 stroke motors it was use a tank with breakin oil under 1/2 throttle max then youre good - whats the break-in on a 3.0?

Also I was thinking of doing a whole write up, or is there already one

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: rebuilt motor breakin?

Below is a copy and paste from the service manual for the 3.0L engine.

Engine Break-in

All engines have been run for a short period of time as a final test at
the factory. You must follow the Engine Break-In procedure during the first 20 hours of operation
to ensure maximum performance and long- est engine life.
NOTE!
To ensure proper lubrication during the break-in period,
do not remove factory break-in oil until after the 20-hour break-in is completed.

First Two Hours
For the first five to ten minutes of operation, operate engine at a fast idle
(above 1500 RPM). After engine has reached operating tempera- ture, momentarily reduce engine
speed, then increase engine speed, to assist break-in of rings and bearings.
During the remaining first two hours of operation, accelerate to bring boat onto plane quickly and
bring throttle back to maintain a planing attitude. During this period, vary the engine speed
frequently by accel- erating to approximately three-fourths throttle for two to three minutes, then
back to minimum planing speed. Maintain planing attitude to
avoid excessive engine load.

DO NOT RUN ENGINE AT A CONSTANT RPM FOR PROLONGED PERIODS OF TIME DURING THE BREAK-IN PERIOD.

Next Eight Hours
During next eight hours, continue to operate at approximately three- fourths
throttle or less (minimum planing speed). Occasionally reduce throttle to idle speed for a cooling
period. During this eight hours of operation it is permissible to operate at full throttle for
periods of less than two minutes.

DO NOT RUN ENGINE AT A CONSTANT RPM FOR PROLONGED PERIODS OF TIME DURING THE BREAK-IN PERIOD.

Final Ten Hours
During the final ten hours of break-in, after warming engine to operat- ing
temperature, it is permissible to operate at full throttle for five to ten
minutes at a time. Momentarily reduce then increase engine speed toassist break-in of rings and bearings.
Occasionally reduce engine speed to idle to provide cooling
periods.

During break-in period, be particularly observant during initial running of engine, as follows:

1. Check crankcase oil level frequently. Maintain oil level in safe range, between “add” and
“full” marks on dipstick.
NOTE! If you have a problem getting a good oil level reading on dipstick, rotate dipstick 180? in
tube.
2. Watch oil pressure gauge. If gauge indication drops below the nor- mal operating oil pressure
range (See “Engine Specifications” on page 88) whenever boat attitude is changed (i.e. turning,
climbing on plane, etc.), it may be the oil pickup screen is not covered with oil. Check crankcase
dipstick, and add oil to crankcase if required. DO NOT OVERFILL. If oil level is correct and
condition still exists, check for possible gauge or oil pump malfunction.

NOTE! Oil pressure will rise as RPM increases, and fall as RPM decreases. In addition, cold oil
will generally show higher oil pressure for any specific RPM than hot oil. Both of these conditions
reflect normal engine operation.

3. Watch engine temperature indicator to be sure there is proper water circulation.

Caution

Failure to follow the break-in procedure will void the engine warranty.

At end of break-in period (20 hours), remove motor oil and replace oil filter. Fill crankcase with
recommended 4-cycle motor oil, See “Drain- ing and Filling the Engine Crankcase” on page 9

Operation After Break-in After break-in, the engine can be operated at any RPM from idle to full
throttle. However, cruising at 3600 RPM or less saves fuel, reduces noise, and prolongs engine
life.
When starting a cold engine, always allow engine to warm up gradu- ally. Never run engine at full
throttle until engine is thoroughly warmed up. Be sure to check oil level frequently during the
first 50 hours of operation, since oil consumption will be high until piston rings are

Lyle29464

Lieutenant

Don is 100% as usual. I would incorporate the cam manufactures instructions with the above.

penta newbie

Cadet

This question is exactly what I am looking for. I am scouring the net trying to figure out the best way to break in my newly rebuilt marine engine.

In the break in procedures referenced above, it refers to the short time that it was run at the factory. What was done during the factories initial start and run?

In automotive V8's the standard initial start and break in is 20 minutes at 2000 rpm to seat the rings. After that, the automotive equivalent is similar in procedure to a boat as referenced above. Do not exceed a specific RPM level, No full throttle highway speeds for the first 200 miles, Vary the throttle and do not hold a constant throttle longer than 10 minutes.

So is there an initial first time start procedure? If the engine was not run at the factory and this is the first time it is going to run, like after a rebuild, what is the correct procedure? I fully plan on following the advice above once the boat is on the water. However, what do I do for the first 30 minutes in my yard while adjusting and testing? The critical first 30 minutes....