Question about necessity/importance of depth finder

Speedtoburn

Recruit
So I just bought my third boat yesterday (2004 Chaparral Sunesta 232); first boat (Baja Bowrider) flew off the trailer and disintegrated on a highway in Georgia when my trailer came undone from my hitch going about 70, second boat (Dynasty Bowrider) threw a rod through the engine block, caught on fire and sank when I was out on the lake. I pretty much swore off boating after that but my kids have been begging me and I finally gave in.

Given my boating history I'm fairly paranoid and trying to account for as much as I can this time around. With that in mind, how important are Depth Finders from a safety standpoint? I've been told that if you don't have one there is a good chance that your prop will hit something in shallow water and you will destroy your outdrive.

The Chaparral has a Stainless Steel Duo prop.

Thanks in advance for any advice. :)

Davem3

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Question about necessity/importance of depth finder

With that in mind, how important are Depth Finders from a safety standpoint? I've been told that if you don't have one there is a good chance that your prop will hit something in shallow water and you will destroy your outdrive.

The Chaparral has a Stainless Steel Duo prop.

Thanks in advance for any advice. :)

chances are if you do NOT have one, you will soon enough wish you DID.............
to me it is one of the top pieces of equipment in my boat.............

Fed up

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I will say that if you are running wide open across the water, by the time it shows a shear drop off, it is way too late to do anything.

but overall i use my fish finder as a depth gauge more than to locate fish, well it locates them i just cant catch them.

Speedtoburn

Recruit

I will say that if you are running wide open across the water, by the time it shows a shear drop off, it is way too late to do anything.

but overall i use my fish finder as a depth gauge more than to locate fish, well it locates them i just cant catch them.

So in your opinion, it's not really necessary?

Thanks

Tregs

Seaman Apprentice

I just installed one into my 2003 Chaparral. I always wondered if they were useful, but didn't really want to spend the time or money to install one. Finally, I got tired of staring at the plug in the dash where a depth finder is supposed to go, so I installed one. I now use it all the time.
1. We wakeboard and tube. I like seeing if the water is getting shallower or deeper as I'm pulling. With the water levels in Texas bouncing around from month to month over the past few years because of the droughts, a depth finder is peace of mind
2. I have the alarm set to 3'. It has gone off twice as I've drifted toward shore while switching tubes/boards. (Engine off)
3. I just like knowing the depth of the water.

Fed up

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So in your opinion, it's not really necessary?

Thanks

Necessary is up to you, but convience is really nice. I do quite a bit of bass fishing and there are many times where I might be strapping my rods down or something when there is a strong wind, so by the time I am in the seat to trim the motor down and start to hit the key I discover that instead of being in 5' of water i have been pushed onto a sand bar that is 1' deep. With the water being so dirty you can not tell if how deep it is.

What I was getting at is that it will generally be mounted to the transom, and when at speed serves little purpose other than trying to hit the key fast enough.

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer

If you use a depth finder in conjuction with up to date charts and use elevations from your GPS you can pretty well know what the depth of the water you're in and headed for is. Without the complimenting features it sgood for watching gradual changes in depth that can alert you to trouble ahead. It's not going to keep you off a rock pile or sand bar. The best way to do that is either ask before you head out or get the latest info from the USCG.

I use USGS Topo maps and Navionics charts. The topo maps give you the elevations and that's also where Navionics gets them. If you have GPS the NMEA 0183 sentence contains the elelvation and most chart plotters use it. The first step is to get the current elevation on the body of water minus the distance from the antenna to the water line. Then you subtract the elevation at the time of mapping and the difference can then be used to compare to the contour lines or depth numbers of the navionics map. I do this once when I arrive at my favorite lake and put a sticker on my plotter with the correction number.

For instance: My favorite lake was mapped when the lake surface was at 5101.7 feet. The current lake elevation is 5096.3 feet. The difference is 5.4 feet so I look at the Navionics Map on my Plotter and if it's normall 10 feet deep its now 4.6 feet. That rock pile that was always 6' deep and easily clearable is now a prop killer.

The only reason I went into this detail is because you've already lost two boats to unfortunate situations. I'd like to see you get your confidence back and enjoy this new one!

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I wont run a boat with out one, and yes like any other instrument it has its problems, its aid and doesn't replace understanding what your doing or where you are at, but it can help you out.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Nothing beats being familiar with the water you are boating in but the depth finder helps give you that confidence. Is it necessary no but if it wasn't a valuable tool they wouldn't put it standard in almost all new boats.

rednecktech00

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If you are on a lake you know very well, maybe not. If you ever go to unfamiliar waters, it would be silly not to have one. You need to know the depth not only to protect your prop from shallows but also for knowing how much anchor line you need. Also helps find a good place to swim. I just don't like jumping in if I don't know whether the water is 3 ft or 30 ft. I also want to know how deep the water is if I am near a beach or shore. Even near ramps. you need to know how shallow the water is. Or, if in a hurry, when is it shallow enough I can jump in without going all the way under.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I've been plying the same waters for over 50 years. I know them like the back of my hand. I also have charts that have been studied over and over. On a cloudy day with a little wind chop I can't see the shoal. That's when I need the depth finder.

A depth finder is in thne same category as an anchor and a bilge pump. I personally won't own a boat without one.

Humminbird makes a nice one for about 99 bucks. You probably spend more than that on beer in a month.....LOL. Nothing is cheeper than that.

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would say its a required part of a boat. We boat in areas that have shallow spots. Just helps know the lakes better. And when levels change... the tight spots are then prop killers. I would say a must have for me.

oldjeep

Admiral

I would say its a required part of a boat. We boat in areas that have shallow spots. Just helps know the lakes better. And when levels change... the tight spots are then prop killers. I would say a must have for me.

How do you figure - the transducers are normally mounted on the transom, byt the time you see the depth it is too late.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

If you boat in unknown waters, or on a res with varying water levels, it will be helpful.

If you boat on know waters, not very much help.

If you boat on 3-6 lakes on a regular basis, pick up a map of each, review it before launch, learn the areas to avoid.

Chances are, you will only glance at the depth finder occasionally while on the water.
While traveling 25 mph, you are covering 37' per second.

Lots and lots of boats with depth finders still manage to tear up their props.

I find that deadheads and large boulders do most of the prop damage.

A depth finder won't tell you an obstacle is coming.

Philster

Captain

Bottom mapper = way to go.

Depth finder = at a minimum

These aren't cheap boats we're putting on the line.

Also, you putter around w/ a bottom mapper and it pays off because you'll know the water top to bottom. You'll cruise faster and faster after you and the bottom mapper get familiar with the areas you boat in.

Boating gods don't like cheap-asses. :p

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

How do you figure - the transducers are normally mounted on the transom, byt the time you see the depth it is too late.

But you can see the depth changing and maybe throttle down a bit or change direction or kill the ignition. Better than running WOT... BANG! Oh geeze, what was that? I would rather have an indication of the depth. Just like i want a transmission gauge in my truck. It's not required but dang nice to have. So it will be required for my boats... that's all.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Yes, if you are watching just the number. If you have a graphing depth finder (which is what I'm assuming he is referring to, vs a round dash mount number display), its fairly easy to see trends. Most lakes don't go from 30 feet to 3 feet instantly, there is some transition.

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer

I have probably avoided the problem with boat number one. What I do is once in a while after hooking up to the ball I will jack the trailer tongue up a little to make sure it is hooked up tight. As far as a depth finder I wouldn't be on the water without one. I saw boulders,as big as a barn, that stuck up to within a couple of feet of the surface in The Lake of the Woods in Canada, the water surrounding them dropped off to 80 feet deep. It pays to go slow and careful and learn many strange waters at slow speed. Another thing you want to watch for in some waters is floating debris. Some bodies of water are famous for floating snags after a rise in water level.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Yes, if you are watching just the number. If you have a graphing depth finder (which is what I'm assuming he is referring to, vs a round dash mount number display), its fairly easy to see trends. Most lakes don't go from 30 feet to 3 feet instantly, there is some transition.

Best that you not boat on the waters I frequent. We have those waters here, and in MN, and in MI, and in Ontario.

I can show you flat top rocks, the size of a truck, 8 inches under the surface and surrounded by 20 deep waters.
And deadhead stump fields in 20' of water.

I choose a chart plotter or a map over a depth finder.

TimBobCom

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I use a combination of good old fashioned maps (last updated in 2010,) a depth sounder (numeric display only) and a Garmin with the US Lakes/Rivers maps (admittedly from a couple years ago.) That combination will USUALLY save my prop and keep me where I need to be in the Mississippi River, but it's constantly changing so it's always "unfamiliar" water. It is also always nice to know if you are about to jump into 3 feet of water, or 30 feet of water. That being said, in my opinion, at least a depth sounder is necessary.