Air conditoning

kparn0825

Recruit
I have a 1991 26 foot Carver command bridge and want to install air conditioning in it. How do I go about doing this?

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Re: Air conditoning

I assume you want a marine heat/AC unit?

* Get an appropriate sized unit. A 16,000 BTU should be sufficient for your vessel.
* Find a place to mount the unit where you can access it for wiring the unit and control box, access for duct work, water lines, and for filter. Plan on a complete cabinet of under salon seating.
* Drill appropriate hole (1 1/2") in the lower portion of the hull, just aside from the keel, in the aft portion of the boat (traditionally deepest water). Install bedded in thru-hull fitting.
* Mount to the thru-hull fitting, a raw water strainer and raw water pump in that location. It should have easy access for the raw water strainer clean out.
* Run water lines from the water pump to the AC unit.
* Cut a hole in the hull (above the water line) for the raw water discharge. Should be 3/4" - 1". Install discharge fitting.
* Run hose from the AC discharge condenser line to the raw water discharge fitting.
* Wire AC water pump to 12v power supply, which should also be wired to the control box.
* Wire AC to 110v power supply, including appropriate breaker, load gauge, and power supply box. This can come from the shore power or genset power supply, but will HAVE TO go thru the breaker panel.
* Wire (included) thermostat to AC unit.

Sit back and enjoy your cool, comfortable boat :cool:

kparn0825

Recruit
Re: Air conditoning

Hey Fireman431: Thanks for the info. It will be very useful!! Karen and Mike