How many oil changes after headgasket replacement...??

Sups guys, I just finished doing head gaskets on my mercruiser 898. I had the heads decked and new valves, completely cleaned out all the manifolds replaced one, all new gaskets etc. I've only run the boat in my driveway for a total of about 40 mins. Now i have changed the oil twice and its still alittle milky. So many question is should i go out and run it in the water? How many oil changes should see before getting all the water out? Your help is always appreciated.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: How many oil changes after headgasket replacement...??

1 is sufficiant,you need to run it under load to get the oil temp up. usually a good hour or two of run time at cruise.

I havent run it in the water yet, should i be worried about the lower end with a bit of water in the oil?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

nope, just get it running at oil temp.engine water temp around 150-170 .the run will get rid of any remaining moisture IF you
have repaired the original cause of water in the oil.

Im 99% sure fixed the issue. There was no signs of freeze damage etc. I did inspect the block well in the known areas for cracking. Is there somewhere i could of overlooked where the oil could mix with water?

tpenfield

Staff member

If you drained the oil and repaired the problems . . . I'm thinking that you would not see any water in the oil ???

So, is it really fixed?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Yep, like the doctor says - you need to go out and run it at a good pace to get things heated up. If you are certain the problem is fixed, that should take care of the milky oil that remains.

I will definalty take it out next weekend... Thanks for your help guys!!