Meat!

Pony

Rear Admiral
Since the topic has been brought up........with a lack of pics each time.

Not on the grill, but it was like 40 degrees the other night, it was late, and I sometimes prefer the cast iron method for steaks. Screaming hot skillet....4mins each side. Throw some butter on top and stick it in a 400F oven for 5-10mins (for medium)

414521_10100637025822208_859795986_o.jpg

Fly Rod

Commander
Re: Meat!

4 minutes each side is what I do too....bone in to me gives more flavor then a thick boneless center cut....I'm getting hungry... time for the steaks to go on the grill.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, I like pan fried steaks too. Try tossing in a little bourbon just before you take it off, and tilt the pan over the flame to get some flambe action going. Awesome!

Since the topic has been brought up........with a lack of pics each time.

Not on the grill, but it was like 40 degrees the other night, it was late, and I sometimes prefer the cast iron method for steaks. Screaming hot skillet....4mins each side. Throw some butter on top and stick it in a 400F oven for 5-10mins (for medium)

414521_10100637025822208_859795986_o.jpg

That looks great.... but where's the after? After the oven that is? :)

I have an electric glass top too, and was nervous using cast iron on it, think I read in the manual against using it, but would if not an issue.

Fly Rod

Commander

If U like pulled pork U may want to try this:

boneless pork loin(the one goes on sale for about $1.89a lb.) in a crock pot on low for 8 hrs. or longer with a 16oz. can or bottle of coke....after done take out pull the pork add favorite barbacue sauce to pulled pork... put back into crock pot with remaining coke....Excellent

BlkY2k

Chief Petty Officer

boneless pork loin(the one goes on sale for about $1.89a lb.) in a crock pot on low for 8 hrs. or longer with a 16oz. can or bottle of coke....after done take out pull the pork add favorite barbacue sauce to pulled pork... put back into crock pot with remaining coke....Excellent
Dr. Pepper works really good too.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

Pony, do you put salt or oil in the hot pan before the meat?

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Couple of good looking hunks of meat right there! Cast iron is the best. That's the only fry pans we own. Most are a few generations old so they're well seasoned. Bought a new one once and didn't season it, bleck! The meat tasted horrible. Lesson learned. We bought a gas stove with heavy duty cast grates. The wife wanted a flat top electric, but, we weren't willing to sacrifice the pans......

Pony

Rear Admiral

I have done that before as well.....it is one of my favorites. I have done it with pork chops as well. I do something similar with venison, beer, and bbq sauce.

That looks great.... but where's the after? After the oven that is? :)

I have an electric glass top too, and was nervous using cast iron on it, think I read in the manual against using it, but would if not an issue.

I made sure to buy a cast iron skillet that is completely flat on the bottom. The biggest downfall is that I can't preheat the skillet and have to let it sit on the burner awhile to get hot enough. Other than that, the only reason to not use cast iron on the ceramic is the potential to drop the skillet on the glass. I would prefer gas.....but I don't have a line. Many are afraid of cleaning the ceramic top as well, but I have never had an issue.....still looks like new.

Pony, do you put salt or oil in the hot pan before the meat?

I brush some peanut oil in the pan usually, and I salt and pepper the meat before it goes in.

Philip_G

Chief Petty Officer

I like a good cast iron seared steak too but even with safflower oil it smokes the house up something fierce and the wife doesn't like it.
I do about 2min a side and then in a hot oven to finish, guess it just depends how much crust you like.

I have a grill with a direct cook grate that can get to 900 or so F so I just do 2 minutes a side on that now.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

A friends mom used to fry steaks w/o the oven step ( I think ). She used thinner cuts than the ones in Pony's pics. She heated the skillet way hot and just added a fair amount of salt to the dry pan before the steaks. She said the salt kept them from sticking and it seemed to work w/o alot of smoke. I've never tried it though.

Philip_G

Chief Petty Officer

A friends mom used to fry steaks w/o the oven step ( I think ). She used thinner cuts than the ones in Pony's pics. She heated the skillet way hot and just added a fair amount of salt to the dry pan before the steaks. She said the salt kept them from sticking and it seemed to work w/o alot of smoke. I've never tried it though.

safflower oil is good up to like 500F or so, so I think it's the bacon fat in the pan itself smoking, I've done the thin ones too in the pan, makes a great steak and eggs steak

RogersJetboat454

Commander

When you can't grill, Iron RULES! :cool:

Just bought a #10 Lodge over the weekend, but have well seasoned #6 and #8 Wagner's that have been my workhorses.
You just inspired me when I go grocery shopping tonight... :)