Docking lights, are they worth it or not

choppywaters

Petty Officer 2nd Class
As we get more familiar and comfortable with our boat we wanted to try camping out on it or at least staying late and take in a concert at a pavilion our city provides every Tuesday but that means not getting back to the dock until 11ish pm. I see a few boats that have docking lights but don't really know if they would be that helpful when trailering. Most, if not all the marina docks have plentiful lighting for coming in at night but for us who still trailer there is no lighting at the docks. Do docking lights illuminate sideways as well as in front.

salty87

Commander
Re: Docking lights, are they worth it or not

or a big ole million+ candlepower spotlight. only use it near the ramp but should be plenty of light. you could also line your trailer with led lights.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I agree, handheld spot is way better, and then you don't leave them on like many fools do. I could see docking lights maybe at the ramp if it is not lighted at all, but otherwise I don't see the need ever. I do use a handheld spot a lot. I use it for shore references and picking up buoys before I am on top of them. Try and only use a few quick flashes at a time, and generally don't let anyone else use it as they tend to keep it on way more than I need or want.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If it is too dark to see the dock with no lighting then it is too dark to be on the water anyway. Once your eyes are adjusted you can see fine and the trailer lights guide you in like a landing strip.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I have both on my boat, docking and a spot and yes a flash on and off is all thats needed and I find it handy to locate a buoy or nav aid.