One more time....

So i didn't get a reply on my last post of white smoke in the exhaust but i think i have the answer. I'd like to run it by you guys to see what you think. First time taking the boat out and runs good for about 30 minutes. Starts bogging out and won't start (around 2am, not happy) after some time and had to get towed. Next day it starts right up but with white smoke in exhaust. Temp never went passed 180 so i know it didn't overheat.

Best guess is the guy that owned it before probably overheated it and replaced the headgasket but didn't deck the head. And also failed to tell me. Someone also mention that i should get the block top decked as well. Its always interesting to me how invaluable it is to have friends who you can talk to that know mechanics and how things work. I can't tell you how much i get stuck and just pick up the phone and discuss something with a friend and we come to a solution. I do have one question. Can i just drain the oil to get any water out or do i need to pull the motor??? I can do the work i just don't know the procedure.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: One more time....

So i didn't get a reply on my last post of white smoke in the exhaust but i think i have the answer. I'd like to run it by you guys to see what you think. First time taking the boat out and runs good for about 30 minutes. Starts bogging out and won't start (around 2am, not happy) after some time and had to get towed. Next day it starts right up but with white smoke in exhaust. Temp never went passed 180 so i know it didn't overheat.

Best guess is the guy that owned it before probably overheated it and replaced the headgasket but didn't deck the head. And also failed to tell me. Someone also mention that i should get the block top decked as well. Its always interesting to me how invaluable it is to have friends who you can talk to that know mechanics and how things work. I can't tell you how much i get stuck and just pick up the phone and discuss something with a friend and we come to a solution. I do have one question. Can i just drain the oil to get any water out or do i need to pull the motor??? I can do the work i just don't know the procedure.

Ayuh,... You probably didn't get a response, 'cause you leave out any good info, 'n ramble on 'bout nothin'....

For the record, I looked, 'n you've got an '88, 2.3l OMC/ Cobra....
'n it sounds like it's never run Right for ya,..

Have ya done any of the repairs you've talked about,..??
Have ya done a Compression Test,..??

When it didn't start,... did it turn over, 'n not start,..?? or just not turn over at all,..??

ramble on about nothin? That could be because i don't know how to explain what the hell the boat is doing.
Anyways, compression test is getting done tomorrow. It does turn over and start for a bit then boggs out. Id be out there 24/7 working on it but its 113 here. Only have a couple hours in the evening to wrench on it. I'll post the compression test after im done.

jpwilly

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Could be a blown cyl, bad head gasket, so compression check is a good idea.

Did you find water in the oil?

Did you pull the plugs and look at them? Do they all look the same or is one different?

Also check the fuel water seperator filter. Looks like an oil filter on the bottom of the fuel pump. Dump it out into a container and see if there is water in it.

All cylinders are pretty much at 175.. ?? Sounds kinda high to me.
Checked the oil on the dipstick and don't see signs of water.
Spark plugs have oil on them and look burnt. ?? And they all look the same.
I also checked the fuel/water seperator. Im not too sure on the water in the fuel to be honest. Maybe its just dark outside so i'll check it out in the am. Maybe set a match to it to confirm. jk, not really. I also noticed what looked like new exhaust manifold gasket as well as valve cover gasket. Sometimes when i see new parts on a car it tells me there was, or is an issue wherever the new parts are concentrated. Again thanks for helping me head in the right direction.

Oh yeah and they seem to be getting a pretty good amount of spark. Yes i was holding the sparkplug wire by accident and got a good shock.

UPDATE
Im editing a post instead of adding another one. What about bad or old gas? If it was sitting for a few months (I put fuel treatment but a little too late i think) and then i added new gas would it have that kind of affect? The ratio being maybe 3 gallons of old gas and the rest, say 9 of new gas. ???? To go along with my top post the plugs smelled like they had a hint of solvent. ???