Steering wheel Hub question

MAXXIE

Chief Petty Officer
Ever since I got my '85 Bayliner 2 years ago, the steering wheel has been upside down while going straight. Not a big deal, just bugs the ***** out of me. Well yesterday I was fixing up a few odds & ends & decided to remove & paint the spokes on the steering wheel, BTW, I think it's an aftermarker wheel, & also fix the position when reinstalling. Is the Hub the wheel screws onto just like a car? Do I need a wheel puller to get it off after I remove the nut? Or is it just frozen on there? Dumb question I know, but just wondering, as I'm reinstalling the wheel today.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Re: Steering wheel Hub question

It's pressed on to a tapered shaft, and most have a keyway. Loosen the center nut and back it off far enough to cover the ends of the threads. A few taps on the nut with a hammer should pop it right off. A bit of penetrating oil might be necessary if there's any corrosion.

MAXXIE

Chief Petty Officer

I just read in a searched thread from 2008, If I thread the nut back on to protect the threads, put pressure on the wheel & "tap" it with a hammer, it should pop off. Should I try this or no?

MAXXIE

Chief Petty Officer

Ha, we must have been typing at the same time, I'll go out & give it a try. Thanks

Bondo

Staff member

I just read in a searched thread from 2008, If I thread the nut back on to protect the threads, put pressure on the wheel & "tap" it with a hammer, it should pop off. Should I try this or no?

Ayuh,... It's How it's Done, so, if ya want the wheel Off, ya gotta do it...

1 Good Wack is usually all it takes...

MAXXIE

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks, it worked, But... It's keyed, so I guess I'll need to unhook the cable & fix it that way. I think the dope that installed this wheel in the first place didn't pay atten. to the position of the wheel & motor. Oh well... Thanks again, I'll figure it out.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

If you really like the wheel, take it to a machine shop and have them cut a new keyway into it 180? off.