Pirranha Props

BlueLightSpecial

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Anyone try a Pirranha Prop? I like the idea of only carrying a pouch of spare blades, instead of an entire prop, plus you play with different pitchs for alot less money then a new prop. What is everyones thoughts?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Pirranha Props

Haven't had one and they do have some good points as you said.
I do think a bag of blades could be a big investment.
I'm not sure how involved a blade replacement is but I think as with a
metal prop you should have some spares of bits and pieces you might drop into oblivion somehow.
Chances are if you hit something it will break and you will have to replace a blade or blades.
On rare occasions they do have a spontaneous failure.
Sometimes you can do a home repair on minor damage on a metal prop with a file
You might look on the net for tests or results with a prop change.
a rubber or leather mallet and a block of wood.

BlueLightSpecial

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Blades are $22 a piece, or 3 for 59.95. A complete kit gets you a complete prop with blades, a bag of 3 spare blades, and a floating wrench for mercruiser, for volvo penta, you get a 4th spare blade, in place of the floating prop wrench, for $239. I dont think that is too bad, myself. Procedure is to remove prop, remove end cap, knock out broken blade, install new blade, reinstall cap, reinstall prop. I agree with perhaps keeping spare prop hardware, The reviews I have seen and read seem promising. A buddy of mine ordered one, and I will see what he thinks of his, before I get one. I'll let him be the guinea pig!

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I wonder how they react if you strike mud or sand Aluminum will bend/crumple some depending on the severity of the strike.
I wonder if the composite would require a replacement blade?

BlueLightSpecial

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I wonder how they react if you strike mud or sand Aluminum will bend/crumple some depending on the severity of the strike.
I wonder if the composite would require a replacement blade?
They "claim" in there video that the composite blades will deflect, and return to the original position better than aluminum. They also show a test, where it takes 2400lbs of force to snap the blade on an aluminum prop, and 2800lbs of force to snap the composite blade. I do understand that these are videos made by Piranha, and they are trying to sell their product, but it still is interesting.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

If I was still actively boating I would be tempted to try one out,
Just for the curiosity. I have seen a couple of reports on here of improved performance.
I don't recall any complaints.It would seem that if they were troublesome we would see it here at some point of the 10 years I've been on.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I understood they flexed a LOT. This is speculation at best, so we should do our best to confirm. Hi flex would mean poor slip numbers and low top speeds. The concept of break one blade and only change one blade is good at it's core for sure.