1969 9.8hp model 110 power head leak?

ddwilson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The motor has been in storage about 2 1/2 years. I just rebuilt the fuel pump and carb., replaced plugs, spark is great on both cylinders starts and runs smooth pumps water good and shifts smooth.
The thing I am concerned about is a leak below the fly wheel it smells like fuel oozing out and slowly running down the side of the power head barely noticeable after the motor had been running about 15 min. but is there. Is this a major issue or a seal that is easily replaceable without tearing the whole engine down before fall?
Doug

mcycleboy

Cadet
Re: 1969 9.8hp model 110 power head leak?

The motor has been in storage about 2 1/2 years. I just rebuilt the fuel pump and carb., replaced plugs, spark is great on both cylinders starts and runs smooth pumps water good and shifts smooth.
The thing I am concerned about is a leak below the fly wheel it smells like fuel oozing out and slowly running down the side of the power head barely noticeable after the motor had been running about 15 min. but is there. Is this a major issue or a seal that is easily replaceable without tearing the whole engine down before fall?
Doug

I have the same problem with a 1971 110 9.8 hp ...on the upper left side, the main crank case is leaking/bubbling fuel out along where the two sides mate together. On my motor there has been an intermittent idle problem that randomly happens and had been hard for me to understand until I found the main case leaking. Up until then I had been blaming bad points or coils and working on that as a fix.

I am pretty sure there is no easy fix for this and a tear down is needed. I am surprised that fuel leaks out rather than air being sucked in but assume this is because of where the case leak is in relation to the reed valve block. My main question is what causes this ? Could it be ethanol related ?

Any ideas out there ??