lures, rust, and tackle boxes??

ngt

Master Chief Petty Officer
Stuck a lure in a small plastic case to trim down on stuff for a fishing trip. Didn't see the case had some rust in it due to some old hooks I dumbed out. Now my lure has a small bit of rust around the ring. It's in my main tackle box with the rest of my stuff in it's own shelf/section. Should I worry about it spreading to the rest of my stuff and just chuck it, or will I be ok? May be a rookie question, but I am someone new to fishing and very new to fishing with lures. Some guy said keep anything with rust out of your tackle box...true? false? It's barely anything, but I don't know how this stuff spreads or whatever. Anyways, advice? thoughts? thanks!

foodfisher

Captain
Re: lures, rust, and tackle boxes??

No moisture, no new rust. Old rust is like cancer, cut it out.

Jlawsen

It won't spread unless there's moisture in there. I have some rusty ones of my dad's that I keep in my tackle box for luck. The box is dry and they don't seem to bother the other stuff. If you're really worried about it but can't part with it, you can put it in a lure tube with a cap. Outdoor Pro Shops has them, they're in your neighborhood off Old Redwood just south of the Expressway. I was just there this morning.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

If you have rust on your tackle you've already lost the battle.
Two ways to prevent rust on tackle.

1. Buy good, high quality tackle "saltwater" tackle. No carbon steel hooks or rings.
2. Rinse and throughly dry all tackle before storing. Things we use a lot get rinsed on the boat and hung in the lure rack. Some tackle may never see the insdie of a tackle box.

ngt

Not sure what type of rings there were, but the lure in question was a $15 TN-70 rattle trap. Nice lure, but the rust that was left in this litle plastic case got on the rings. It's not on the hooks. Guessing because I had those switched out with better hooks, but it did get the rings and the loop on the actual lure. I'm not chancing it. It's staying out of my box. I don't think there is any moisture in the box. It never leaves my garage. I just take the lures I want out and put them in the little plastic cases that fit in my back pack. It was the plastic case that had the rust in it from the old hooks I had in there. I didn't see it when I loaded up the case. Actually bought the TN-70 from the pro shop across town. I live in RP. Cool place but I try to stay away so I have money left for other stuff, like food and my mortgage. :)

Jlawsen

I live in RP. Cool place but I try to stay away so I have money left for other stuff, like food and my mortgage.

Laughing with you... I'm headed down there right now.. Time for a new Loomis spinning rod for my trip up north. How's that flyrood working out? Yeah, its me.. I'll tell you about the name change some time.

ngt

Laughing with you... I'm headed down there right now.. Time for a new Loomis spinning rod for my trip up north. How's that flyrood working out? Yeah, its me.. I'll tell you about the name change some time.

ha!, I was wondering where you had gone. The rod is great! Not that I know anything about fly rods, but it feels good to me. Been practicing with it for a bit and about to go out for striper on my kayak in a few days. Haven't nearly got in as much fishing as I'd like. Son just turned 4 months and being a teacher, the work year just ended and it was pretty hectic. Now I'm starting my 11 week vacation, which begins tomorrow, and I'll be up for some fishing if you want to get together sometime after your trip.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Nice lure, but the rust that was left in this litle plastic case got on the rings. It's not on the hooks. Guessing because I had those switched out with better hooks, but it did get the rings and the loop on the actual lure.
It didn't get on the rings, it came from the rings.

Rust is the byproduct of water and oxygen in contact with iron (steel). Obviously, you didn't dry the lure completely before putting it back in the box. To make matters worse, you changed the hooks so you've introduced dissimilar metals into the mix.

ngt

It didn't get on the rings, it came from the rings.

Rust is the byproduct of water and oxygen in contact with iron (steel). Obviously, you didn't dry the lure completely before putting it back in the box. To make matters worse, you changed the hooks so you've introduced dissimilar metals into the mix.

Ah, ok. I changed out the hooks for better hooks. The guy at the pro shop suggested these. My fault for not drying it fully. Thanks for the tips/info. Live and learn.

woodsyfeller

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Change the hooks , change the split rings and fish the heck out of it chances are your going to loose it when you get snagged bad on bottom or on some weeds and itll be gone forever, if the built in rings are so bad you dont trust it to hold a fish toss it.Plan on buying lures and jigs forever its just a fact of fishing.Keep an eye out for sales in the off season and buy em when they are cheap.

Reel-hip

Seaman Apprentice

Change the hooks , change the split rings and fish the heck out of it chances are your going to loose it when you get snagged bad on bottom or on some weeds and itll be gone forever, if the built in rings are so bad you dont trust it to hold a fish toss it.Plan on buying lures and jigs forever its just a fact of fishing.Keep an eye out for sales in the off season and buy em when they are cheap.

I was going to say just polish or sand off the rust 1st. If the rust went deep then replace the ring. Fish it! If you hook something big chances are the hook will hold.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Some guys have even sprayed their terminal tackle with wd40...the main ingredient is well...fish oil, attractant as an added bonus?

Jlawsen

ha!, I was wondering where you had gone. The rod is great! Not that I know anything about fly rods, but it feels good to me. Been practicing with it for a bit and about to go out for striper on my kayak in a few days. Haven't nearly got in as much fishing as I'd like. Son just turned 4 months and being a teacher, the work year just ended and it was pretty hectic. Now I'm starting my 11 week vacation, which begins tomorrow, and I'll be up for some fishing if you want to get together sometime after your trip.

Sounds good, hey did you see where my sister got Teacher of the Year! We're all pretty proud of her.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Some guys have even sprayed their terminal tackle with wd40...the main ingredient is well...fish oil, attractant as an added bonus?
WD40 contains zero fish oil but it does work on lures

ngt

Sounds good, hey did you see where my sister got Teacher of the Year! We're all pretty proud of her.

no, I didn't see. Congrats to here though. Very cool! Is putting wd-40 on lures legal? Can't be good for the water.

Jlawsen

no, I didn't see. Congrats to here though. Very cool! Is putting wd-40 on lures legal? Can't be good for the water.

You can't intentionally use it as an attractant. The EPA gets you on one side and the DFG on the other. I took it out of my tackle bag but kept it in my toolbox where it is legal aboard a vessel as a lubricant and water dispersant.

Sometimes the laws collide and make no sense at all.