76 35 hp no spark

mr gibbs2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hello
I have a 1976 35 hp with no spark, all wires and grounds /under flywheel look new but it seems that the points are always grounded using a continuity test light ,with the kill button connected or not , should the light on the tester should go on and off with the points opening and closing ?I have the manual and I need to test the one driver coil under the flywheel for resistance but a a buddy of mine took my meter ,will get it back later any help would be appreciated JD

JDusza

Ensign
Re: 76 35 hp no spark

These are always fun!!!
No spark. Check.
Both cylinders? Check.
How are you testing for spark?

Each set of points should experience "open" and "closed" per one revolution of the crank shaft. The point gap when open should be about 0.020" or the thickness of a cardboard matchbook cover.
While there, remove and reconnect all electrical connections to condensers as well. I've had aged connections stop perfectly fine old condensers.
Check the spark in both cylinders with an air gap spark tester and ensure the spark can jump 7/16" air gap.
J

mr gibbs2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Morning I have a cd 77 meter don?t really know how to use it but , there are 2 wires coming out from under the flywheel ,going to each coil, I put red probe to wire and black to ground .pull cord meter is set pos ,and 50 meter jumps to 12 volts? On scale. put meter to 500 and pull pull cord ,meter goes all the way up . 2nd coil hook meter to wire from flywheel, meter set on 50 get 12 volts ? Set meter to 500 get nothing .Seems I am getting something out of the flywheel but still no spark may be the coils? ,but getting different readings on the 2 wires coming from under flywheel .Does anyone have a suggestion where to go from here? Thanks its driving me nuts I want to get the motor running THANKS JD

mr gibbs2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

UPdate
reading JDusza post{ remove and reconnect all electrical connections }it seems that the coils were not grounded well because of a slight build up of corrision .I now have good spark got the motor running but its to late on sunday to let it run .the neighbors may not like it ,next step may be a carb rebuild Little things make a differece