Over heating problem

tstruth

Cadet
Last year before i winterized the boat she ran great. I went on this site and read the correct way to winterize her. I followed them step by step. When I picked the boat up from storage I changed the plugs, belts, oil and filter. I noticed my impeller was a little worn so i flipped it over to get the fins to turn the opposite way. I installed the pump and gave the motor a quick turn. She started up nice. I shut her down after three seconds and brought her down to the water. Tied her to the dock and started her up. She started smoking a little bit but I figured it was just the sea foam spray that i put in each calendar when I winterized it. I pulled out the trailer and went to the boat. She shut her self out and the exhaust was hot as hell. I waited till she cooled and pulled the water pump. The impeller was destroyed. I cleaned out the pump of the melted rubber. Bought a new impeller and reinstalled. Still the same thing. No water flow. Pulled the pump again and inspected the impeller. She was fine. Reinstalled the pump. I noticed a freeze plug had popped. I tapped her back in and she seemed to fit in nice. Pulled the boat and hooked up a garden hose to the water intake, started the boat and had water coming out both baffles. I figured the freeze plug was the issue. Put her back in the water and still the same. Boat started up nice and the temp gauge continued to rise. Pulled off pump again and impeller still looked good. Reinstalled and decided that the thermostat was the issue. Removed her and left her out. Tried again and still the same issue. I figured that maybe my water pump is no good. Neighbor has a correct craft with the same motor. Installed his water pump on my boat and still the same issue.

Pulled the hose of the water intake before the transmission cooler. Filled the bilge with water. Put the hose in the water and turned on the boat. Only thing coming out from the exhaust was heat. No water what so ever. It seems so simple but I have know idea what to do next.

How about you guys?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Over heating problem

What are we working on?

Bondo

Staff member

Pulled off pump again and impeller still looked good.

Ayuh,.... My guess is, ya also destroyed the impeller Housing the 1st time ya Smoked it, after flippin' it over....

That was yer 1st Big mistake...

What motor is this,..??
What Drive are We talkin' bout,..??
Ya pulled What water hose,..??

Impeller pumps don't Suck so well,... their flooded entry pumps that Push water....

tstruth

Cadet
Over heating

Over heating

I have a 1986 Supra Comp with a ford Cleavland inboard. Last year before i winterized the boat she ran great. I went on this site and read the correct way to winterize her. I followed them step by step. When I picked the boat up from storage I changed the plugs, belts, oil and filter. I noticed my impeller was a little worn so i flipped it over to get the fins to turn the opposite way. I installed the pump and gave the motor a quick turn. She started up nice. I shut her down after three seconds and brought her down to the water. Tied her to the dock and started her up. She started smoking a little bit but I figured it was just the sea foam spray that i put in each calendar when I winterized it. I pulled out the trailer and went to the boat. She shut her self off and the exhaust was hot as hell. I waited till she cooled and pulled the water pump. The impeller was destroyed. I cleaned out the pump of the melted rubber. Bought a new impeller and reinstalled. Still the same thing. No water flow. Pulled the pump again and inspected the impeller. She was fine. Reinstalled the pump. I noticed a freeze plug had popped. I tapped her back in and she seemed to fit in nice. pulled the boat and hooked up the garden hose to the water intake turn on the boat and had water coming out both baffles. I figured the freeze plug was the issue. Put her back in the water and still the same. Boat started up nice and the temp gauge continued to rise. Pulled off pump again and impeller still looked good. Reinstalled and decided that the thermostat was the issue. Removed her and left her out. Put her back together again and still the same issue. I figured that maybe my water pump is no good. Neighbor has a correct craft with the same motor. Installed his water pump on my boat and still the same issue.

Pulled the hose of the water intake before the transmission cooler. Filled the bilge with water. Put the hose in the water and turned on the boat. Only thing coming out from the exhaust was heat. No water what so ever. It seems so simple but I have know idea what to do next.

How about you guys?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Over heating

Re: Over heating

Ok,.... I moved, 'n combined yer threads....

Please post only 1 thread about a particular problem...

This motor/ drive, belongs in This forum....

tstruth

Cadet

That is correct. Melted her down completely. Smoked like a son of a gun. What do you think I can do to fix this issue?

tstruth

Cadet

I apologize if this is in the wrong forum. What forum should i post it in?

Bondo

Staff member

I apologize if this is in the wrong forum. What forum should i post it in?

That is correct. Melted her down completely. Smoked like a son of a gun. What do you think I can do to fix this issue?

Ayuh,... Everything is now where it belongs,...
I moved the posts in the Merc forum, 'n the OMC forum to this, the Other Brands of I/O & Inboard Engines & Outdrives forum...

I guess I'd start by pullin' the raw water pump off the motor, 'n findin' a New 1....