1989 260 5.7 Torque Specs

CRay45DB

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi,

Rebuilt the Rochester Quardrajet over the winter. Started right up. Reason I rebuilt it is I had a vacuum leak I could not find. Started it yesterday, started right up. Looking in the book I cannot find the tourqu settings for the 4 bolts that hold it down. I know it wasn't tigh enough as fuel was leaking from the ottom.

When it comes to the low speed two mixture screws, I counted the turns when I removed. Both were 4 full turns. But the manual says 1 1/4, but others say 4. Any idea? And my idle is too high, round 900. I know I need to set the low speed screws. Enforce I can adjust.

So to summarize:

1. Torque specs for Carb?
2. 1 1/4 turns of 4 full turns for low isle.

Thanks!

CRay45DB

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1989 260 5.7 Torque Specs

Also, having a brain fart, isle speed screws in leans it out?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1989 260 5.7 Torque Specs

Hi,

Rebuilt the Rochester Quardrajet over the winter. Started right up. Reason I rebuilt it is I had a vacuum leak I could not find. Started it yesterday, started right up. Looking in the book I cannot find the tourqu settings for the 4 bolts that hold it down. I know it wasn't tigh enough as fuel was leaking from the ottom.

When it comes to the low speed two mixture screws, I counted the turns when I removed. Both were 4 full turns. But the manual says 1 1/4, but others say 4. Any idea? And my idle is too high, round 900. I know I need to set the low speed screws. Enforce I can adjust.

So to summarize:

1. Torque specs for Carb?
2. 1 1/4 turns of 4 full turns for low isle.

Thanks!

Ayuh,... I believe the carb is torqued to 'bout 20 ft.lbs...

the turn, 'n a 1/4 is merely a starting point...
Also, having a brain fart, isle speed screws in leans it out?

Both,... turn 'em In, is leaner... Out, is richer idle...