What Are They Called?

O'Riley

Seaman
My old Lone Star boat came with these things along the top of the boat angled slightly upward, 4 on each side I think. They look like they would accept a piece of wood or something (1.5" x 1/2") to keep the cover bowed up to keep the water from puddling.

Talked to the son of the guy I bought it from and he thought it might have been redwood but wasn't sure, long time ago.

So, anyone know what these are called or what I could use during storage? Seems nowadays they sell poles to set in the boat, not what I want.

Thanks

Davem3

Chief Petty Officer
Re: What Are They Called?

can you upload a picture to give us a idea ?????

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Boat cover socket. Use a wood wooden bow to keep water from puddling on the cover. Right here on iboats.

O'Riley

Seaman

Boat Cover Socket.....that's it!

100_4479.jpg

100_4480.jpg

Mine are only 1.5" wide and maybe half inch deep. What would be a good choice for going across and not break the bank? I think the boat is about 54" across.

Thanks

O'Riley

Seaman

I have some 11/32 plywood that I could rip, would that work? Boat is actually 65" across.

Thanks

UncleWillie

Captain

Get a 2x4 of "Clear White Pine"(No knots)and rip some 3/8 slices off the 1.5 inch edge.
Oak is preferred, Pine or Poplar is less expensive. :cool:

Or just do it the easy way! :D

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I like, and have used these, available at most retailers that sell boat covers.
They are adjustable, mine are made of oak.

I doubt that plywood would work, for long.
Needs to flex so the wooden bow can hold the cover up, about a foot.
And needs to be strong enough to hold up against heavy winds pushing down on the cover.

11111.jpg

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Plywood will absorb water, delaminate, and fall apart. I doubt a thin strip of it would be capable of flexing enough to be useful without cracking as well.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Whatever you do, DON'T use wood bows to support your cover. Oak isn't appropriate and plywood is totally unsuitable. The store bought bows are usually made of poplar, but they end up taking a set, warp badly and won't last more than a few years..... Been there done that.

They also sell fiberglas bows but they are cost prohibitive.

Go to a Home Depot and buy aluminum flat stock sized to fit the socket. Then cut to length. They will last forever with none of the negative effects. Since you're buying a hardware item, and not a marine part, the cost will be half what you would pay at a marine store.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

Technically the 'bows' are called "Battens". And those are the "Batten Sockets" mounted to your gunnal ...

Hardwood's good, fiberglass better. If'n ya wanna get real fancy go with 3/16 aluminum.

O'Riley

Seaman

Never thought of using aluminum. Found a place online....(4) 3/16 x 1.5" x 6' = $40.08. Shipping is 21 bucks but it would cost me that in gas, I kind of live in the boonies. The wood ones from here are a few cents more but the shipping is double. Guess I'll go with the aluminum.

Thanks guys!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

You can get the adjustable wood bows for $22 including shipping if you shop around.

They last forever if set right.
Dad's still using his, 15 years.
Mine are only 9 years old.