Volvo Penta 4.3L overheating issues

tobiasmartens

Recruit
I recently got my boat out of storage and was getting it ready to take out on the water for the first time. Its a 1991 Larson All American with a 4.3L (engine Model # 431A868267) and a volvo penta out drive. I hooked up the water mufflers and started it up and noticed that it didn't seem to be circulating and discharging water out the lower end unit. I decided to take it out on the water and see if I would have any issues. The engine got up to about 190 before I killed the motor and let it cool off. I got it back to my place and took off the water pump and noticed the rubber impeller was pretty chewed up (luckily found most of the fins). I bought a new impeller and gasket and replaced it. I hooked up the water mufflers and fired up the engine and noticed the pump housing was getting pretty hot and water still was not being discharged. Pulled off the inlet and discharge hoses to the pump and there was no water in them. It appears that the pump isn't getting any water from the intake. Any suggestions as to what my next steps should be?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Volvo Penta 4.3L overheating issues

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... Flush out the water intake hose, lookin' for debris....

If nothin' is found, I'd guess there's a small vacuum leak in it...

Impeller pumps really Hate to suck, 'n would rather push...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Penta 4.3L overheating issues

I hooked up the water mufflers and fired up the engine and noticed the pump housing was getting pretty hot and water still was not being discharged.

If the housing got hot, you need another impeller.

Check the hose connection on the outdrive, just below the bellows connection. The have a tendancy to corrode away under the hose and suck air.
Also be sure you have a lot of water pressure and volume on your muffs, and you plug the round secondary pickup in the drive before you start it.
Use some dish-washing liquid on your new pump impeller, and be sure you have a new gasket. If the pump sucks air, it will not draw water in.