Penta 4.3L Starter Grinding

eiresurg

Recruit
I have a 1996 Chris Craft w/ a Volvo Penta 4.3L that I just bought. My first boat. Got it in the water after the local shop "summer-ized" it and told me "she's good to go". Floated her out, turned the key, started right up. Put it in forward and it stalled. Same happened on the second attempt. Third, fourth and fifth try I just got the horrible grind of the starter. Shop came out and pulled the starter. They say it's bad and maybe the wrong starter. I read this thread: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=200510&highlight=Volvo+4.3+starter+grinding and got nervous about just putting in a new starter. How do I know if I need a "shunt" as described in this thread?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Penta 4.3L Starter Grinding

Have no clue what shunt you are talking about, and really don't feel like reading 46 posts to find out. Suppose you could post the number of the reply so we know where to look?

Besides the starter, is this a carbed engine? Did you let it warm up first? If carbed, they don't start and put in gear an go like your EFI car or truck does.

eiresurg

Recruit

Don,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, the engine is carbed. Also, the shunt is referred to in the final post (#46) in that thread. Sorry, didn't expect anyone to read all 46 posts in that thread.

Bondo

Staff member

Don,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, the engine is carbed. Also, the shunt is referred to in the final post (#46) in that thread. Sorry, didn't expect anyone to read all 46 posts in that thread.

Ayuh,... The shunt is used to set the Timing, 'n has Nothing to do with the Starter...