Steering cable question 1979 V178 Ranger Johnson 115

Alpinegold

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Took a potential buyer for my boat for a test run before he bought it. He backed the boat down I came off the trailer started the motor and the STEERING CABLE was froze and in a 20 mile an hour wind, I sailed to the other side of the lake. He didnt buy the boat.

Help - I have taken the arm off and removed the nut from the starboard side. Sprayed a lot of penetrating lubricant into the cylinder . I can pull the cable with the wheel , back and forth but when I thread the cable back on it locks back up and the cable will not move the arm. In addition when the cable is off the cylinder and I push it in and out the other side does not move.

Can someone please give me some advise. Am I going to have to pull the engine off to repair this thing ?.

bullcity101

Seaman
Re: Steering cable question 1979 V178 Ranger Johnson 115

Maybe post this an non-engine forum and you could get more help? But, in the past I have taken an air hammer to them and gotten them loose before. lots of PB blaster and an air hammer.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Steering cable question 1979 V178 Ranger Johnson 115

The steering cable is stuck in the tilt tube. Try putting a vise-grip on the port side of the cable and rock it back and forth along with the PB Blaster.