2005 Mercruiser 5.0 MPI Serial OW341073 PCM 555 Diagnostics Help Please?

whitesnstripes

Recruit
2005 Mercruiser 5.0 MPI Serial OW341073 PCM 555 Bravo with Cool Fuel III and "hobbs" switch installed between tank and pump.

I purchased a Rinda scanner and ran the initial test without cranking the engine, thus being cold. I believe this is a false code 119 steering ckt lo, because there is no steering control system installed.

Freeze Frame:
RPM 570
Battery Voltage: 14.3
Fuel Level 28%
Oil Pressure: 52.5 psi
ECT: 160 F
Seapump Pressure: 30 psi

with keyon, fuel pressure gauge on rail registers 40 psi. Once cranked and idling it jumps around 90 psi. The engine ran for five min and died due to fuel pressure dropping to 0 and stalled.

Approximiately 20 min later after the engine had stalled I pulled the same false steering code, but none other but the freeze frame concluded:

Map and Bar pressure were both 14.7
MAT 82 F, which was about ambient temp
but the ODD thing was Lake/Sea Temp said 429 F????
I could place my hands on the tops of the manifolds and they were cool to touch. Lower in the bilge the bottom side of the manifolds were very hot? The water circulation thru the cool fuel system must've been very hot also the fuel lines were too hot to touch?

I tried to run a vacuum test on the pump relays, but found strange readings. Key on, 40 lbs of fuel rail pressure and then cranked the engine for it to rise to 90 psi. I removed the vacuum line at the fuel pressure regulator at the rail and added my trusty vacuum gauge and was supposed to pump it to 10, but it was already at 17 psi??. I released the pressure and it reduced to around 14 psi, no further.

Obviously I have too much fuel pressure at the rail, but from where is this extra pressure coming from?? help?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 2005 Mercruiser 5.0 MPI Serial OW341073 PCM 555 Diagnostics Help Please?

Other than you don't understand the readings, what is the problem you have with the engine?

and "hobbs" switch installed between tank and pump.

What's a hobbs switch?

whitesnstripes

Recruit

What I believe is a "hobbs switch" is an electronic activated fuel switch which allows fuel to flow, with the ignition switch on, for a matter of seconds, while the engine is cranking. Its purpose is to seek out oil psi to determine if the engine is runing and if so , continue to open fuel supply to the engine. It may just be a fuel cut off switch as well?

Other than that, do you see anything significant within the scan readings with a direction I should go further troubleshooting? the boat only runs about 15 minutes and dies. It won' crank and run again for another hour until it cools down and runs for 15 min again.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Really should not be that hot after 15 minutes with cooling water flowing, you do have water going to it ,right?

Fun Times

Staff member

2005 Mercruiser 5.0 MPI Serial OW341073 PCM 555 Bravo with Cool Fuel III and "hobbs" switch installed between tank and pump.

1, Originally Posted whitesnstripes] by I believe this is a false code 119 steering ckt lo, because there is no steering control system installed.
You are correct.

2,Originally Posted by whitesnstripes] Seapump Pressure: 30 psi @ RPM 570.
Seems high, possibly another sign of a water restriction in flow of the sensor or could be a bad sensor, But not the end of the world at this time if it's a bad sensor.

3,Originally Posted by whitesnstripes] with key on, fuel pressure gauge on rail registers 40 psi. Once cranked and idling it jumps around 90 psi. The engine ran for five min and died due to fuel pressure dropping to 0 and stalled.
High fuel pressure is usually a restriction in the fuel return system or within the fuel regulator area.

4,Originally Posted by whitesnstripes] but the ODD thing was Lake/Sea Temp said 429 F????
This is normal if you don't have a sea temp transducer on the bottom of the boat that would be hooked up to the smartcraft style system.

5,Originally Posted by whitesnstripes] I could place my hands on the tops of the manifolds and they were cool to touch. Lower in the bilge the bottom side of the manifolds were very hot?
With feeling it by hand this is normal with this system.

6,Originally Posted by whitesnstripes] The water circulation thru the cool fuel system must've been very hot also the fuel lines were too hot to touch?
This is questionable. I recall them getting warm but not hot. Maybe lack of fuel flow or water?

7,Originally Posted by whitesnstripes] I tried to run a vacuum test on the pump relays, but found strange readings. Key on, 40 lbs of fuel rail pressure and then cranked the engine for it to rise to 90 psi. I removed the vacuum line at the fuel pressure regulator at the rail and added my trusty vacuum gauge and was supposed to pump it to 10, but it was already at 17 psi??. I released the pressure and it reduced to around 14 psi, no further.
This is possibly a sign of a restriction to the fuel pressure regulator area.

8,Originally Posted by whitesnstripes] Obviously I have too much fuel pressure at the rail, but from where is this extra pressure coming from?? help?
Someone will need to pull the top cover of the fuel pump module to check the bottom side of the fuel regulator cover for debris + check the two fuel filters inside of the module for water, etc.

9,Originally Posted by whitesnstripes] the boat only runs about 15 minutes and dies. It won' crank and run again for another hour until it cools down and runs for 15 min again.
This could be the hot fuel. Also by chance have you installed a new distributor cap & rotor recently?

Here's your fuel module break down, It's controlled by the pcm to run for a few seconds before engine start up.
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...11681&bnbr=80&bdesc=Fuel+Supply+Module,+Bravo

And here is your engine parts for this engine,
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/selectDocs.asp?doc_nbr=884717002

Some sea rays use a Parker Skinner Fuel Solenoid with Manual Overide system. I was wondering if this was what whitesnstripes meant as a hobbs switch?
http://clubsearay.com/showthread.php/23308-Parker-Skinner-Fuel-Solenoid-Manual-Overide