Removal/Install Alpha 1, Generation II outdrive

Todd4n

Cadet
I just had a new outdrive installed by a Mercruiser dealer a few months ago. I am new to boating and it?s been rough start (probably because I don?t have a name yet, I should call it breaking it in). First I forgot to put the thrust washer on with the prop and ran it for about 30 minutes hoping the clunking noise would go away then I pulled it out of the water and figure out what was going. No noticeable damage was done. Next time out I hit something at low speed and had some minor dings on my stainless steel prop. I once again pulled the boat out and measured the radial runout with a dial indicator on the prop shaft. It once again appeared to be okay. After my 10 hour break in period I drained/refilled the gear oil and everything looked normal (minimal metal shavings on the drain screw, no milky oil).

Now for my next problem. Only nn full turns doing about 10 mph there is a significant vibration and I am wondering what it is? and how to fix it? My research came up with either the gimbal bearing or the u joints. I am assuming the u joints were new from the installing a new mercruiser outdrive so I would like to count them out. I am leaning towards the gimbal bearing.

I have never taken a outdrive off before.
Since it is fairly new is there any seals or gaskets that I should replace or is there no need since it is only a few months old?

I have a service manual and I have watched several videos however it usually leaves out the part where the seals/o-ring/gaskets should be replaced and when they should be replaced.

Any suggestion or input would be appreciated.

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Removal/Install Alpha 1, Generation II outdrive

Welcome Aboard!

Are you reading Merc service manual 14 or something else?
SM 14 does a very good job on where o-rings and seals go and as far as when to replace them, I would just spend the $8 and buy the gasket set and replace them whenever the drive is pulled. Or at least until you have the experience level to look at the seals and determine if they are good or not.

Mark

Todd4n

Cadet

I have the Seloc Mercruiser service manual. Yeah welcome aboard is right. I told my dad about all my problems and he stated welcome to boating.

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have the Seloc Mercruiser service manual. Yeah welcome aboard is right. I told my dad about all my problems and he stated welcome to boating.

As several have stated here many times: use the Seloc or Clymer manuals for knee pads and use the Merc manuals.

Check out the sticky section on where to get the right manual or search past forums for the sites.

This site you can read or print, just not download/save:
http://boatinfo.no/lib/library.html#

Break
Out
Another
Thousand

Mark

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

somehow my reply posted twice-deleted

tpenfield

Staff member

Eventhough you have had a rough experience so far . . . this outdrive is far from broken. So, maybe you don't want to fix it. Full turns at 10 mph+ will give you a groaning vibration . . . that is the u-joints telling you not to do that. And yes, to your question, they are probably new with the ourdrive, but only the mechanic knows for sure.

Anyway, what you described does not seem like a real problem. My Bravo outdrive with new u-joints makes a noise when I crank the wheel all the way, while underway. It is fine at idling and wake zone speeds.

So, if that is the extent of your troubles, put the wrenches down and go boating.:cool:

Bondo

Staff member

I just had a new outdrive installed by a Mercruiser dealer a few months ago. I am new to boating and it’s been rough start (probably because I don’t have a name yet, I should call it breaking it in). First I forgot to put the thrust washer on with the prop and ran it for about 30 minutes hoping the clunking noise would go away then I pulled it out of the water and figure out what was going. No noticeable damage was done. Next time out I hit something at low speed and had some minor dings on my stainless steel prop. I once again pulled the boat out and measured the radial runout with a dial indicator on the prop shaft. It once again appeared to be okay. After my 10 hour break in period I drained/refilled the gear oil and everything looked normal (minimal metal shavings on the drain screw, no milky oil).

Now for my next problem. Only nn full turns doing about 10 mph there is a significant vibration and I am wondering what it is? and how to fix it? My research came up with either the gimbal bearing or the u joints. I am assuming the u joints were new from the installing a new mercruiser outdrive so I would like to count them out. I am leaning towards the gimbal bearing.

I have never taken a outdrive off before.
Since it is fairly new is there any seals or gaskets that I should replace or is there no need since it is only a few months old?

I have a service manual and I have watched several videos however it usually leaves out the part where the seals/o-ring/gaskets should be replaced and when they should be replaced.

Any suggestion or input would be appreciated.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Like Ted says,.... Don't turn that sharp, under heavy throttle,....

You don't normally do Power Turns at the local parkin' lots do ya,..??
That vibration is the equalivant of spinn' yer tires...

At Full turn, yer drive angle is 'bout the same as trimmed to the Max....
of course the u-joints are gonna complain....