Gentlemen, meet todays meat.

rbh

Fleet Admiral
A FOOD RANT!!!
As its that BBQ season again (it didn't stop for some I know) My thoughts go out to the kind of meat that we are getting these days.
If you have noticed the marbling in the meat and fat around the edges is gone replaced by just boring meat.
I do not know about you, but I enjoy the taste that a well cooked steak or pork chop has when its well marbled and has a little fat around the edges, the butcher can apoun request leave the fat around the edges, but generally it is removed now due to popular request and the only way your going to get a well marbled piece of meat is to raise it yourself.
The feed lots these days will not fatten them animals up as they did in the old days, from what I understand.
Fat is a luxury and not required.
Well if your going to eat a $10 buck chunk of beef or hog that taste like cardboard, save your money and just eat cardboard!:mad:

Rant OFF

(please leave the rib eyes for me :p)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Gentlemen, meet todays meat.

Makes me think of "Pot Roast", an Angus steer daughter #3 finished on sweet feed and other, secret, ingredients. All I got of "Pot Roast" was a chuck roast that I Crock Potted in anticipation of tough, rather flat tasting meat.

OMG!! :eek: That was the best flavored beef I have ever eaten, from any part of the beast. No wonder that a chuck was all that was left for Opah after the rest of the family claimed their shares.

I didn't notice any particularly high marbling. . .I would have called it choice, but not prime.

I remember very high priced "Maile" bagasse finished beef in Honolulu in the 50s, and even more expensive beer finished beef in Japan during the same period. I remember them as very, very good beef, but "Pot Roast" was still the best hunk of dead steer I ever tasted.

duke33

Petty Officer 1st Class

I feel your pain. Our local IGA had to quit selling local beef and sell pre-packaged low fat stuff. Can't find a god cut of anything anymore. It's a bummer. I like my grillin.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

There is one farmer around here that collects the used barley and hops from a local brewery for feed, from what I undestand thats excellent meat.

JRJ

Commander

The Costco here sells Prime along with Choice. Looks good, but wife says the choice rib-eyes are expensive enough, and they are usually tender and tasty medium rare :D

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Hmm I don't know. When I see how obese our country has become I don't think I can say we need more fat. Myself, I've cut back to beef twice a week tops.

Yes, but is it at least two "good" pieces of beef??

I still remember my mom buying a 2-3 pound chunck of flank steak thinking this was a treat for us kids back in the 70's:(
20-30 minutes on the grill:eek: after eating that I could rip a tire in half with my teeth.;)

southkogs

Staff member

Hmm I don't know. When I see how obese our country has become I don't think I can say we need more fat. Myself, I've cut back to beef twice a week tops.
Fat isn't typically the issue alone ... it's generally more the type of fat. A higher protein diet with the right types of fat can be really good for some (maybe many).

We started buying beef straight off the farm, and getting free range grass fed stuff. The meat is incredible. It's lean, but flavorful. Probably a little less marble-y than you're thinking RBH, but very tasty. We've done the same with eggs, and chicken too. Pork is harder to find but we did score some last year ... wow!

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Fat isn't typically the issue alone ... it's generally more the type of fat. A higher protein diet with the right types of fat can be really good for some (maybe many).

We started buying beef straight off the farm, and getting free range grass fed stuff. The meat is incredible. It's lean, but flavorful. Probably a little less marble-y than you're thinking RBH, but very tasty. We've done the same with eggs, and chicken too. Pork is harder to find but we did score some last year ... wow!

YUP on the free range beef for taste!!:D ever eat mooo thats spent time in semi dry/arid area and has eaten sage??
One thing I was told is American beef is usually finished with corn while Canadian beef is finished with grain?
Only those certain areas of an animal get the marbling (outside cuts I think), but yes the taste sure is not there on the big farm fed animals anymore.
And we let our chickens poke around for bugs and whatever, as long as they stay out of the stawberry and rasberry plants "BAD CHICKENS!!!!" :D

southkogs

Staff member

... ever eat mooo thats spent time in semi dry/arid area and has eaten sage??
No, but I've had some buffalo before that might have been ... dunno' for sure.

One thing I was told is American beef is usually finished with corn while Canadian beef is finished with grain?
This isn't really what you mean, but isn't corn technically a grain? The side we got last year was strictly grass fed. We had some friends who used to grass feed and then finish up the last month or so with a lot of corn and molasses mixed in. I honestly didn't notice a huge taste difference that I can remember.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

^^^^
I think that there is a difference from the finishing with a wheat product (barley, flax, alfalfa ETC) to corn, but I am not a farmer.
Most cow I see munch grass and some sorta hay product (I am thinking it is Alfalfa) till its time for fattening then comes the good stuff what ever that may be.

Just glad they have stopped putting the remnents of other cow in their food, cows should not eat cow, thats just mad!!:facepalm: ;)

tomdinwv

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I don't buy beef at the chain super markets around here. It all looks awful and does not have much flavor. I get mine from a little mom and pop place about a mile from my house. They will cut it how you want it and has the best flavor. Now I feel the need to go buy some ribeyes.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I have been to Japan a few times, and one trip through a grocery store and you will crave this the rest of your life:

DSC_5106-500x331.jpg

This is true Kobe Beef, and this 5 1/2 ounce slice costs around $85. I still haven't had the real thing, because Kobe or Wagyu, is not the same here. We should pool all of our money and start a true Wagyu feed lot, deal type thing.

aspeck

Staff member

I do all organic meat ... elk, deer, and some free range beef. Yum.

southkogs

Staff member

I do all organic meat ... elk, deer, and some free range beef. Yum.
... mmmmmmmm, elk. I've always liked venison, but we got our hands on some elk a couple years ago and it wasn't just good ... it was a religious experience! We've managed to get a little each year (still limited hunting them here in TN).

bassman284

Commander

No, but I've had some buffalo before that might have been ... dunno' for sure.

This isn't really what you mean, but isn't corn technically a grain? The side we got last year was strictly grass fed. We had some friends who used to grass feed and then finish up the last month or so with a lot of corn and molasses mixed in. I honestly didn't notice a huge taste difference that I can remember.

Well, you hafta understand, Canadians generally only see corn when it's trucked across the border in a can. Then it's a vegetable. Can't grow a whole lot of corn when your only two seasons are winter and July.:p

The linked article from Iowa State University (aka Moo U) says that corn is a vegetable, a grain, and a fruit. Kind of depends on time of year.

What is corn?

catfishcarl99

Senior Chief Petty Officer

i always save my fat for last. buy whole ribeyes and new your strips. cut yourself. i get plenty of fat on them suckers. and i eat my wifes and kids fat too. and believe it or not im 39 and 2 years ago my cholesterol was (slightly elevated). i ate bacon by the pound growing up semi rare. floating in grease. i love garlic though. natures cholesterol fighter.

but i know what ya mean. i eat a lot of venison, raise rabbits, hunt small game and fish eaten is usually 60% from my hook. heck with the chinese frozen garbage. buy from local beef raisers.

FlaCowboy

Ensign

I was expecting to see a big chunk of meat sitting on a grill...:D I have to agree with the meat today. I have a friend that owns a butcher shop and I usually get decent meat from him unlike what we see in the supermarkets....let`s not even get started on the prices though :eek: