1987 30 HP Evinrude Tiller Dies when given throttle??? Help please? Frustrated......

offthehook67

Seaman Apprentice
Ok so new to me motor 2 weeks ago today seemed to run fine on muffs or in a barrel. Took motor out on lake and it did not idle well back trolling and at the lowest throttle would die unless I kept the throttle up a hair (which was too fast for back trolling) Also, just did not seem to be getting all the way there (speed wise) at full throttle and seemed to slowly reach top throttle. (Still not all the way there) I figured since I was so far away from home I would just deal with it till I got home. Took it out again and then new problem arose. Gave it throttle and it just bogged out and dies. Idled back to harbor, took out boat and next morning removed starter and carb. Cleaned carb VERY thoroughly. Put it all back together, put on the muffs, started and ran fantastic on muffs. (thought I had it) HA!!! Not!!!! Put it back in the water and started idling out the harbor, gave it a little throttle and bogged down and died. At the dock sometimes it would get full throttle without dying and sometimes just die out. (Frustrated and disappointed at this point)

It seems to me that it is starving for fuel? Not sure however. I did get a squirt bottle and spray some fuel in the carb when running and sometimes it took off and other times it bogged and died. Hence, scratching my head!!!

I was told that in the water there is a lot more back pressure than on the muffs and to check the exhaust for blockage. Did that seems open. Also it is and was my opinion that the fuel pump is bad. However I was told that if the fuel pump was bad that the ball would not stay pumped up. It stays hard just fine. I did however switch tanks from the one that came with the motor. The ball on the original tank did NOT stay pumped up. I had another tank from a Merc with a fuel gauge on it so I switched the ends and put the Merc tank on and the ball seemed fine. I was thinking at the time maybe just a bad ball but now I am thinking different and back to my original thoughts of a bad fuel pump.

That's the best explanation I can give and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Richard

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1987 30 HP Evinrude Tiller Dies when given throttle??? Help please? Frustrated..

The high speed jet is located in the bottom center portion of the float chamber.... way in back of that screw plug you see in the bottom front of the float chamber. The jet is fouled... clean it with a piece of single strand steel wire.

offthehook67

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1987 30 HP Evinrude Tiller Dies when given throttle??? Help please? Frustrated..

Well I cleaned the small tube running from the bowl up to the idle adjustment (which is at the top of my carb not the bottom) with wire. resprayed it out with carb cleaner. Is this what you are talking about? Or, are you referring to way in the back of the carb behind the idle adjustment? (Idle adjustment screw is long and pointed on the end screwing into the top of the carb. The tube I cleaned is in the mid section going up to that adjusting screw.

bullcity101

Seaman

When you said you cleaned the carb...that could mean a lot of things. There should be a big screw at the bottom of the float chamber that drains the float chamber, behing that is your high speed jet. You need to take the carb off and run a single piece of wire through there. I use the wire that is on the inside of a twist tie you would use for keep a loaf of bread fresh. You really need to put a carb kit in it too, there like $25ish. Adjust the float, new gaskets, so on. If you have a compressor, you can spray all the opening in the carb, let it sit for a minute or so and then blow them out and repeat. That should take care of your problems.

You could go ahead and rebuild the fuel pump if your worried about it. Sometimes a pinhole in the diaframe can really mess you up. It will pump enough fuel to idle all day but when it needs the fuel for anything more, it just can't give it the pressure it needs. Try pumping the fuel bulb when underway to see if it helps.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The "off center" small tube that you speak of which travels up the high speed nozzle is a fuel passageway that leads to the slow speed needle valve area. It is not what I'm speaking of.

Remove the float chamber from the carburetor, remove the screw plug from the bottom front of the float chamber, look straight in that threaded hole towards the center of the float chamber. You are now looking at the high speed jet which can be cleaned in place or removed if necessary. It lays in a horizontal position, has 1/4x20 threads and is seated.

offthehook67

Seaman Apprentice

The "off center" small tube that you speak of which travels up the high speed nozzle is a fuel passageway that leads to the slow speed needle valve area. It is not what I'm speaking of.

Remove the float chamber from the carburetor, remove the screw plug from the bottom front of the float chamber, look straight in that threaded hole towards the center of the float chamber. You are now looking at the high speed jet which can be cleaned in place or removed if necessary. It lays in a horizontal position, has 1/4x20 threads and is seated.

Looking at this schematic of my carb is it possible to point out what screw you're talking about? I left the boat at the lake and am heading back up in a day or so and I am having trouble visualizing????

Thanks again for all your help.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/j...LCUB&manufacturer=Evinrude&section=Carburetor

offthehook67

Seaman Apprentice

That is the one I thought you were referring to.

Thanks Joe

offthehook67

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Joe as that is the one I thought you were referring to.

offthehook67

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Joe as that is the one I thought you may be referring to.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

You're welcome, you're welcome, you're welcome. :)

offthehook67

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks to all who gave me input on this issue.

The fix to my problem was........drum roll......

"A bad choke"

Replaced the choke and problem solved. It was dumping fuel and loading up the engine.

Thanks again for everyone's help.