new boat owner

Holmstrom

Cadet
I just bought a 15 ft 1973 silverline for $500. It has a chrysler motor on it. 70 hp outboard.. I'm new and dont really know what im looking for as far as problems. The props not beat up. no dents or holes or repairs in boat that i can see. The floor is solid and not spongy. Came with life jackets, horn, fir extinguisher, 2 batteries etc.. What types of problems should i be looking for ?my boat.jpg

Pony

Rear Admiral
Re: neww boat owner

Re: neww boat owner

I would start by pushing/pulling on the motor to see if the transom flexes or not. Hopefully the floor is not something that the previous owner threw on top of bad stringers to cover up a problem. Around here something that old at that price will usually need some structural work. I sold my first 71" trihull for $400 and it had a rotten floor and a blown power head.

As far as the motor goes I would check the compression, and if you have strong (100 psi) and consistent compression across the cyliders I would continue. If you have bad compression it may not be worth doing anything else to the motor. If the compression checks out okay, I would put in a new water pump and clean the carbs. If it has been sitting awhile the impellor will most certainly be shot and the carbs will have some varnish in them. I am not too familiar with the older Chrystlers, but I would recommend going to that forum and doing some reading. There is a TON of useful stuff on this site.

Holmstrom

Cadet
Re: new boat owner

The carpet looks old like its been there awhile, dirty looking. but the seats are still good with only a tear in the driver seat. It's raining and covered up now, but when i checked it out before buying, the motor didnt move when i tried to wiggle it. However it does have like a diamond plate on the back of it, i dont know if thats factory. It looks nice. The license expired in march. They said they had it out last summer and had it winterized before putting it up this fall. All the trailer lights worked and its a tilt trailer.

Holmstrom

Cadet

I don't think diamond plate was factory on any boat.

It's solid, the whole boat and trailer move when i lift on the motor. Theres no spider webs or cracks in the fiberglass. Maybe the plate is hiding damage.

southkogs

Staff member

Welcome aboard Holmstrom.

Looks like an Aruba! You can find some details about the manufacturer and the boats HERE. There are also a few of us Silverline geeks and freaks over HERE.

Diamondplate wouldn't be normal on the back of that boat, so either an enhancement or a repair. More likely it's the latter, but if done well it might be okay. Your test is suggesting the boat is sound, so it's okay to try it out on the water. Just be wise. If you've not already done so, a reasonable fee to a local marine mechanic may expose some unknowns or confirm seaworthiness.

The Chrysler OB's come with all sorts of opinions attached to 'em. Pony gave you some good ideas - definitely post over on the Chrysler OB forum. There's a guy on the boards who runs old Chryslers and has made 'em go for a long time. You'll get good advice.

Get a little training/instruction too if possible. A few hours spent learning from a friend, local Power Squadron or maybe DNR would be a few hours VERY well spent. Be safe!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That's one of the better $500 boats I've ever seen! :) Good luck with it!