15 hp seaking will not start

4dragans

Cadet
I've had this for years. Haven't used it for about 20 yrs. So I tried to start it, no avail. Took it all apart, carb off and debugged, all in working order. Took off the ignition plate with points and condensers, coils look good. Cleaned up everything there, set points to .20, plugs to .30. No cracks in coils. cleaned up magneto surfaces. Lubed everything, since all was taken apart. Put all back together. Won't start. Starter pulley works fine, got tired of pulling, so I put the drill on flywheel to rotate it. Lot easier, but still won't start. Checked spark, had spark. fuel coming out of carb, that works. Cranked it over, again and again. No start. Once in a 100 rotates or so a back-fire, then nothing. Took head off to see if there is a gasket leak( could not find my pressure gage for psi), no prob there, looks good. Still no start. in mean time I cleaned up all moving parts and lubed it all up. Can not figure this out. Never had problems like this before. Also just so no one says to put in new fuel, all that was taken care of too(50-1). Never had an outboard not start up after this type of go though. Anyone have any IDEAS on this?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: 15 hp seaking will not start

Welcome to the forums,

How about stating brand and 15 model if any to start with, are plugs slight wet with oil/fuel mixture or completely dry after cranking engine for that long. If dried probably you could have inverted diaphragams inside fuel pump while reassembling ? Is tank vent opened ? Does bulb primes efficiently ?

Happy Boating

Davem3

Chief Petty Officer

Montgomery Wards/chrysler Sea King. is the brand

and dang, you covered all the bases............ hmmmmmmmmmmm

okay, jokes over, try a compression test, please???

did you replace the head gasket, and re torque the bolts after doing the glass/sand on the head while off......... sorry , just thinking here

I GOT IT!!!!!!!!! pull flywheel back off, check the key, make sure it is aligned correctly............ thinking timing issue at this point

UncleWillie

Captain

...I GOT IT!!!!!!!!! pull flywheel back off, check the key, make sure it is aligned correctly............ thinking timing issue at this point

The Place to check! +++

Pull the plug.
Make sure the piston is just about at the top of the stroke at the same time the Points OPEN.
The magneto magnet should be passing the coil at the same moment.
You have spark, but is it at the correct time?

A small squirt of fuel in the cylinder before reinstalling the plug often helps. (For about 7 seconds anyway!) :D

jim j geezer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

"backfire"... ONLY?

I'd look at the reed valves.

BTW, I've used the power drill the same way you did, and more than once, when the engine would fire, the engine would outrun the drill (and me reacting), with the result being a loosened flywheel nut - which allowed the flywheel to lift enough to shear the key.

M

mrcrabs

what did you do to debug the carb? my idea of debugging is much different than my neighbors, after 20yrs its just possible that the jets are still stopped up,

4dragans

Cadet

Welcome to the forums,

How about stating brand and 15 model if any to start with, are plugs slight wet with oil/fuel mixture or completely dry after cranking engine for that long. If dried probably you could have inverted diaphragams inside fuel pump while reassembling ? Is tank vent opened ? Does bulb primes efficiently ?

Happy Boating

Thanks for the welcome. Monkey wards/chrysler seeking 15 hp . When I took off head, cranked it over and saw fuel mist coming out of both cylinders. Yes tank vented. Yes to prime bulb.

4dragans

Cadet

Montgomery Wards/chrysler Sea King. is the brand

and dang, you covered all the bases............ hmmmmmmmmmmm

okay, jokes over, try a compression test, please???

did you replace the head gasket, and re torque the bolts after doing the glass/sand on the head while off......... sorry , just thinking here

I GOT IT!!!!!!!!! pull flywheel back off, check the key, make sure it is aligned correctly............ thinking timing issue at this point

No I did not replace gasket. Flywheel in right spot on key. Still can not find my psi compression kit in my garage.

4dragans

Cadet

The Place to check! +++

Pull the plug.
Make sure the piston is just about at the top of the stroke at the same time the Points OPEN.
The magneto magnet should be passing the coil at the same moment.
You have spark, but is it at the correct time?

A small squirt of fuel in the cylinder before reinstalling the plug often helps. (For about 7 seconds anyway!) :D

Did all of that. Still stumped.

4dragans

Cadet

"backfire"... ONLY?

I'd look at the reed valves.

BTW, I've used the power drill the same way you did, and more than once, when the engine would fire, the engine would outrun the drill (and me reacting), with the result being a loosened flywheel nut - which allowed the flywheel to lift enough to shear the key.

I know, I know! Got to be quick. Got to get it going first. Thanks for the concern.

4dragans

Cadet

what did you do to debug the carb? my idea of debugging is much different than my neighbors, after 20yrs its just possible that the jets are still stopped up,

Took it all apart, checked float and plunger. poked all the holes clean, took out the jet, clean. Cleaned out all parts, put back together. As I answered the other post, fuel misting out of cylinders as I crank the engine. Will check reeds from other post. When I put all of my fuel using tools(lawn, saws,outboards,everything. I run them all dry for storage. Every time.

M

mrcrabs

Ok, I would be suspecting a weak coil/spark if all else is up to spec. You may have spark but do you have enough to ignite the mixture.
A service manual and spark tester will really help at this point.

4dragans

Cadet

Ok, I would be suspecting a weak coil/spark if all else is up to spec. You may have spark but do you have enough to ignite the mixture.
A service manual and spark tester will really help at this point.

I am thinking of that too. so I will order up new points and condensers, and hope to coils are doing fine. Thinking that the condensers are not throwing back enough charge. Don't know how long that will take to get though the I stores. Will post back Probably next week if any results come around. So thank you and everyone else for all of the input. Til then, just putting around.