OMC 6HP Something scraping on Flywheel?

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I just picked up a couple of Evinrude 6604A's (1976 6 HP) as parts motors. They were used in a rental fleet and are very beat.

Take a look at the flywheel? Can anyone tell me what happened? You can see in the picture that something has been scraping the flywheel....just above the starter teeth. Both motors show this same wear. It's got me baffled; nothing on the motor is even close; I cannot imagine how this has happened?

Any ideas?

6_Flywheel.jpg

Cap'n Chaos

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: OMC 6HP Something scraping on Flywheel?

Are the insides of the cowlings scratched as well?

nwcove

Admiral

very odd for two to be the same, but maybe the pull start wasnt being maintained, and not dropping out out of the flywheel teeth ?

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

No marks inside cowling; the location on the flywheel would be impossible to contact the cowling.

The starter gears are plastic and cannot travel that high.

This is substantial wear; look at the far right of the picture; the depth of the groove is discernible there against the light background.

Chuck

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Look at the manual starter. On that motor the starter shaft has a cross-pin in it that acts as a cam pin by being stationary while the pinion gear is pushed UP (because of this pin) when you pull the rope so it will engage the ring gear teeth of the flywheel. I will bet that this cross-pin has at one time loosened enough to slide sideways which would be about the right location to wear the flywheel as you show.

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well LeeRoy....

You are of course correct. I just went out and looked at it again....

I guess the pins have been replaced at one time because now they are tight and positioned correctly. What a racket that must have made; eh? Hard to imagine that no one took notice to deal with such a simple fix.

Chuck