what's under YOUR ribs?

barato2

Commander
P1010708.jpg

here's what i found under mine. mild steel, stainless, brass, and aluminum. all but the last are higher on the galvanic table than your hull and will eventually cause it to corrode. luckily there were no lost copper pennies down there....Calder has a memorable picture in his book of a hole in an alum gas tank from a penny laying on it. there were also a bunch of old jig heads and beetle spins down there. although the old rivet sections won't cause corrosion, they were blocking the limber holes pretty good.

not sure it's worth pulling the floor if you didn't need to anyway, but DO NOT put it back down without probing around under the ribs and limber holes with a long blade screwdriver and pair of needle nose pliers. sevl of these items were wedged in place pretty good under there.

now i think i'll go admire the tower and custom paint job on my neighbor's boat......;)

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant
Re: what's under YOUR ribs?

A heart, a couple lungs, liver, probably a few other odds and ends last I knew :D :D

As for the boat, I found drill bits, allen keys, and tons of fishing sinkers and lures under the floor in my AC. Also a SS pair of forecepts.

Stevens520

Petty Officer 1st Class

Found an old rusty bolt and some pieces of walnut shells so far, and that was just encountered when changing the oil. Can't wait to see what I find next spring when I do the floors.

marika19

Cadet

P1010708.jpg

here's what i found under mine. mild steel, stainless, brass, and aluminum. all but the last are higher on the galvanic table than your hull and will eventually cause it to corrode. luckily there were no lost copper pennies down there....Calder has a memorable picture in his book of a hole in an alum gas tank from a penny laying on it. there were also a bunch of old jig heads and beetle spins down there. although the old rivet sections won't cause corrosion, they were blocking the limber holes pretty good.

not sure it's worth pulling the floor if you didn't need to anyway, but DO NOT put it back down without probing around under the ribs and limber holes with a long blade screwdriver and pair of needle nose pliers. sevl of these items were wedged in place pretty good under there.

now i think i'll go admire the tower and custom paint job on my neighbor's boat......;)

Hey! That looks what I've been pulling out of my boat ribs! I've been finding plenty of nails, washers, and other junk clogging up my ribs and rusting away. I've been attacking the ribs with a pressure washer and a putty knife in an attempt to clear the clogs.

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

Borato is right. I found a couple unspent 30-06 rounds in mine. You need them for the big fish. 2 Quarters to pay for my weeks work on it, plus rivits, used and unused, nails screws, steel and SS, leaves, and a lot more things.

ctriverfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Found all sorts of things the last one under the splash well was full of ants, cleaned them out with an air hose and a rubber tube when I was checking for dripping rivets.
No Bullets. Bird shot but no unspent rounds.
IMG00056-20120526-1436.jpgIMG00057-20120526-1438.jpg

FishNmemories

Petty Officer 1st Class

What's under my ribs?
Glad you asked B2 cause according to my gal....a whole lot of gas!! Just depends on what I have been eat'n lately:eek:

Have not replace floor yet, but there is a lot of sand back by the bilge pump area and after looking at ctriverfish pics, probably lots more crud too.

barato2

Commander

FNM, you might be able to flush some of it out by raising the bow ridiculously high and hosing out the bilge til water runs semi clear? this won't clear any crud wedged into the limber holes but might help with overall drainage and "mud weight" of hull

fishrdan

Admiral

A BIG friggin hornet's nest :eek: (no pic's,,, sorry...) The thing was 1' x 3' with lots of dead hornets stacked up against the stringer.

I replaced the decking and scrubbed the heck out of the hull, even washed it down with that anti-dog pee enzyme to hopefully get rid of any "bee" traces, but I still see the odd bee or yellow jacket buzzing around that corner of the boat from time to time. Luckily, they can't get in (so far...)

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

Bees seem to be attracted to boats. Every year several times I have to get them out of mine. One year I was cleaning up inside the boat with the wife's new vacuum with extra suck. You could suck the yellow jackets in with the wand at least a foot away from them. Boy that vacuum was buzzing. Thought I'd be smart and let it sit before I cleaned it. About a week later we had a terrible smell in the house. My wife was not happy I'd used her new vacuum outside without permission.The bag was clear full of dead rotting Yellow jackets. But they left my boat alone the rest of the year.