whats tohastsu 9.9 worth?

hobby10k

Seaman Apprentice
new to the forum, and a new boat owner. just picked up a boat and it had a chevy 350 with a ski prop, so assuming (and by what the owner said) will be too fast at idle to do a slow troll. so i found a kicker at im going to buy tomorrow but would like to know what its worth before i buy. Its a tohatsu 9.9 2-stroke, he said its about10 years old. electric start, electric tilt.

ive read that tohatsu,motors are good so not wondering if its good. just wondering what its worth before i shell out the cash.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: whats tohastsu 9.9 worth?

Welcome to the forums

What's the general state of that engine ? Is it a 9.9D or 9.9D2 which is the latest version update, would be good to know so don't throw yourself into an empty pool. If D2 could update for peanuts to a 15 HP as it's already a detuned version of the 15D2. Very good quality, simple & reliable motors. Post some interior pics of both engine sides to check versions. How much is the asking price ?

Happy Boating

hobby10k

Seaman Apprentice

Welcome to the forums

What's the general state of that engine ? Is it a 9.9D or 9.9D2 which is the latest version update, would be good to know so don't throw yourself into an empty pool. If D2 could update for peanuts to a 15 HP as it's already a detuned version of the 15D2. Very good quality, simple & reliable motors. Post some interior pics of both engine sides to check versions. How much is the asking price ?

Happy Boating

ill see if i can attach a picture. not sure if its d or d2. just said it runs great, and looks good in pic he sent. hes over an hour away so cant just swing by real quick. driving there tomorrow. he is asking $300 obo, seems like good price, however im just not sure what they are worth, or if i should offer a little less.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

That's why is good to know the exact model as for spare parts availability in near future if needed, if buying old version probably most parts or principal parts are NLA. The latest D2 is still in current production. Nice to be electric start, electric tilt. First check, probably still has the attached model sticker.

Happy Boating

Davem3

Chief Petty Officer

300 sounds good, but ............ compression test first and foremost.

also, remember as already stated the D is a NLA parts type motor..................

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Seems as D2 version, a pic of the interior would solve the doubt, that engine new should cost "at least 2 grand" if in good shape, it's a bargain to me at that price, don't know about you. Probably the seller will be :mad: if offered less.

Happy Boating

hobby10k

Seaman Apprentice

Seems as D2 version, a pic of the interior would solve the boubt, that engine new should cost "at least 2 grand" if in good shape, it's a bargain to me at that price, don't know about you. Probably the seller will be :mad: if offered less.

Happy Boating

I emailed him and asked which model it is, see what he says. But thats exactly why I wanted to see what you guys thought, cause i'll pay $300 no problem if its worth it, and dont want to insult him by offering less.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

The sticker is located to left side, ask owner if still has it ....

Happy Boating

Attachments

• Sticker Info.JPG
    Sticker Info.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 0

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

New style engine cover...Parts are available. Generally any 9.9 in any brand will bring a grand. It actually remarkable how small engines keep their value compared to engines over 30 hp.

pootnic

Chief Petty Officer

Is it hot?
$300 seems like a steal,atleast on the outside appearance.

hobby10k

Seaman Apprentice

I picked it up today. it wasn't the D2 version. It did come with the throttle control cables and gas can etc. I wasn't sure about buying a motor that you cant get parts for, however it runs good and good compression. so I'm hoping it will be a good runner for quite a while.

I ended up offering $250 and he accepted. No it's not hot, the guy was real nice and was in no need of money, he just bought a new 4 stroke and he was just cleaning up his garage and wanted to get extra stuff out of his garage.

I'm happy with the purchase, now I just need to find a fuel line for it since none of the lines at the (local) stores didn't have the same hook up. I also have to figure out how to attach the motor to the boat steering.

pootnic

Chief Petty Officer

I think you got a great deal.
I find it hard to beleive a major(now)brand wouldn't have some spare parts for it,I'd check into that alittle.
If it doesn't get abused,should last you along time,nice find.

andrewt12

Cadet

that is a great find ! You cant buy a 2.5 where i live for that price !