Advice for buying a used pontoon boat

mesajeeper

Seaman
I am looking at purchasing a used pontoon boat. I have a friend of a friend of a friend who I haven't spoken to who is looking to get rid of his pontoon quickly as he is loosing his storage space and does not use (or maintian) his boat. All I know about it is that it is a 1998 20 footer. I don't even know the brand. He states that the pontoons are good and the motor runs well. He had it out 8 months ago and said it ran like a champ. It sounds like the boat has been stored outside without a cover so I am assuming the interior and carpet are trashed. I am looking to gut the interior and have basically a floating deck with minimal furniture that I can lay a couple of cotts out on and sleep on the lake while catfishing. It sounds like I can get the boat for $1,000.

I currently own a v-drive wakeboat and a older alluminum fishing boat. I have owned 4 other boats in the past but never a pontoon.
My questions are:

1. What is unique about pontoon boats that could end up being a big expense if I don't know what to look for when I do the inspection?
2. I was told that the seller will take me for a test drive. If the motor runs and the boat floats, can I go wrong at $1,000?
3. At this price I won't be getting a boat inspection, but is there anything I can look for? Is there an easy way to check for leaking pontoons?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

BobGinCO

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Advice for buying a used pontoon boat

A THOUSAND BUCKS??? Holy cats! The scrap value of the aluminum is worth more than that!!!

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

For what you are going to do with it and the price you are paying!

1. I would check the pontoons to see if they are taking on any water... Proly the only way is to get it outa the water and listen for sloshing. Or pull the drain plugs if available.
2. Check all gauges at sea trial... Overheat..... Oil PSI...Ect
3. Deck condition... Soft spots and so on

Good Luck..... Sounds like it could be a great Catfishing Rig!

mesajeeper

Seaman

Thanks everyone for the help. I will try and listed for sloshing of water in the pontoons. Even if there is water in them, from what I have read this could still be a relatively cheap fix right? My thought is if the motor starts and runs well and the boat floats I probably can't do too bad at a grand. My fear is that I will pay $1k for the boat and then have to put several thousand into it. If that is the case I may shop $5k boats that don't need as much fixup.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Not much to go wrong with a toon, with the boat itself you have the tubes and deck so visually inspect the tubes for damage, a few dings and dents are fine and don't really hurt them and walk the deck looking for soft spots but even changing a deck isn't that big of a deal, nothing like stringers in a glass boat.

If the guy actually takes you out and the engine runs okay you really can't lose on this deal and the slosh test is a really easy way to find water in the tubes but as you said even if they do leak a bit that is a cheap easy fix.

If you don't get this it certainly won't last long, that is a blow out price

mesajeeper

Seaman

I am scheduled to view the pontoon with a lake trial on Wednesday. I am hoping for the best. I may be purchasing my first 'toon!

junkman41

Petty Officer 1st Class

good luck mesajeeper, you will enjoy having a pontoon

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

That's an awesome deal. I buy and fix up pontoon boats and then resell em. I'd snap up anything in that range. For me, I'd even buy it with a busted engine, it's still a good deal. They're easy to fix. Get some wood, get some carpet, get some benches and get a running engine. Varoom! Take pics and post em after your test drive.

mesajeeper

Seaman

That's an awesome deal. I buy and fix up pontoon boats and then resell em. I'd snap up anything in that range. For me, I'd even buy it with a busted engine, it's still a good deal. They're easy to fix. Get some wood, get some carpet, get some benches and get a running engine. Varoom! Take pics and post em after your test drive.

Thanks for the advice. I am pretty excited. It sounds like I will be needing some benches as you mentioned. Where would I go about getting some?

Also, I am told it has a 115hp motor. Does that seem kinda big for a 20ft pontoon?

EricJRW

Chief Petty Officer

Also, I am told it has a 115hp motor. Does that seem kinda big for a 20ft pontoon?

Depends on the boat. Did you ever say whether it was a triple tube? Other than that, take a look at the capacity plate.

BobGinCO

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the advice. I am pretty excited. It sounds like I will be needing some benches as you mentioned. Where would I go about getting some?

I'd guess it was within spec, but near the top for that length. Did you want a pontoon with a wimpy motor?