Grilling out to sea

Reming870

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Maybe this topic is beatin to death, but I am curious. How many will grill on the boat while out and about on the boat? I am thinking of the Magma mounted in the rod holder or rail while out fishing. My gut tells me this is dangerous, but my taste buds are winning the arguement. Are the Magmas with gas safe to use?

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Re: Grilling out to sea

Many times the Coops have launched the boat, fired up the engine, then fired up the grill and taken a leisurely cruise as lunch or dinner sizzles away. I've also grilled many a burger, dog, brat, chop et al while drifting or anchored. There's nothing like cooking dinner and watching the sun go down at the beginning of a night fishing excursion. Perfectly safe provided the right equipment and common sense figure into the equation. Go for it Reming.:cool:

JoLin

Vice Admiral

I'd say it depends on where you boat, and how big your boat is. Too much wave action for me to chance it at anchor, while my friend with the 38' Trojan might be inclined to. In all our weekend raftups together, however, nobody's done it. We do use the galley stove at anchor, but that sits amidships and is rigidly mounted.

rschap1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Keep the grill a good distance from the fuel filler, fuel tank vent, bilge openings, and vents.
I have used small portables on my boats, but I try to keep them as far as possible from any places that fumes may be.

catfishcarl99

Senior Chief Petty Officer

i went on a lil beer drinking cruise on a pontoon several years back. they had a reg old gas grill on it. worked great but they let me drive. everytime ide goose it the hot dogs rolled off on the floor.

Cowthief

Seaman

i went on a lil beer drinking cruise on a pontoon several years back. they had a reg old gas grill on it. worked great but they let me drive. everytime ide goose it the hot dogs rolled off on the floor.

:D Flaskback

captain zac

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have always grilled on the boat.

Just got too remember

Put the grill where you can dump it in the water quickly
Grill should be outside of the boat (swim platform, hanging over rail, ect.
The propane bottle should not be kept in the boat but stored outside the boat (LP is heaver than air so it falls
and can fall into the bottom of the boat)
on my Chap 265 I have a cooler on the swim platform that has a drain going outside the hull.
They also make a bag that you can store the bottles in and hang them from the rail

Harry

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer

Added a Magma kettle gas grill this season & love it - No more cold cuts or running back to the dock, Great addition.

LK

64osby

Admiral

StarcraftMagmaGrill1.jpg

I'm getting hungry just looking at that. We grilled the first time over the Holiday last weekend. It was great.:D

CoffeeHound

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh does that bring back the days of old -- when we used Charcoal in a pot-grill on the front deck of my boat 50+ years ago.
Pot-grill was hung from 3 legs by chains and swung with the waves and roll of the boat -- Memories are making me hungry !!

R Socey

Chief Petty Officer

Go for it! I'm going to. My Magma will hang on the outside of the port cutting board/bait table. I've heard only good stuff about Magma grills.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

Boating, fishing , AND grilling..................could it get any better?............. maybe a crew of bikini models?

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have a Magma gas kettle grill on my swim platform on a cool rotatable mount. I've only used it once so far, but it worked great, and I have lots more use in store for it.

IMG_20120526_192717.jpg

IMG_20120523_172845.jpg

moosehead

Chief Petty Officer

^I must have one. Thanks for the photos, they closed it. Love the swim deck mount on spoils' craft.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

In all our weekend raftups together, however, nobody's done it...

You have no idea what you're missing!!!

We grill all of the time on the boat. Kuuma grill sits in a rod holder and hangs overboard. Any drippin's falls right into the water...with the occasional hot dog:facepalm:

Very safe. Much more than you would think. All of the manufacturers put so much research and development into these grill before putting them on the market.

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Get yourself a cobb and don't worry about mounts or other hassles.

Cobb Grill

The grill looks nice, and I'm sure it works great, but charcoal on a boat seems like a pain in the ***. Also, the lack of a mount seems like more of a hassle to me then the existance of one... I want to use my magma, I screw on the tank and light it and cook. When I'm done, I unscrew the tank, cover it and thats it... I want to use that one, I have to pull it out of some storage space on the boat, light the charcoal, wait for it to get to temp, cook, wait for it to cool, dump the ash/coals, put it away... Screw that... Might as well just grill on shore.

And the point of this thread was grilling on the boat.