Arauco Plywood unavailable - Plant destroyed by forest fire - Low cost Alternatives?

rickryder

Commander
Re: Arauco Plywood unavailable - Plant destroyed by forest fire - Low cost Alternativ

Check with your local lumber yard and ask for underlayment ply.... it has waterproof glue and no voids between the ply layers ;)

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: Arauco Plywood unavailable - Plant destroyed by forest fire - Low cost Alternativ

What do you mean by cheap? Do you want cheap/cheap or cheaper than marine grade?

If you want cheap/cheap go with CDX plywood, but you get what you pay for. CDX has voids (some are rather large) and isn't that flat or smooth.

If you want a quality plywood that's cheaper than marine grade go with MDO, BB plyform (fir), or the underlayment mentioned above.

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

^^^X2 or BC ply.
It should all be epoxied anyway so I don't think it really makes a difference. Decking that will get covered up doesn't have to be furniture grade ply.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

It's not really the exterior ply condition that a big concern, it's the voids in the middle of the stuff, Marine Grade and the Arauco have nearly void free cores. The voids can trap moisture and once sealed up on both sides the mositure has no where to go....

Not starting a plywood debate...just a fact about the cheaper grades of plywood.

Just my luck though, I just started using the Arauco and now the plant burns down.....geeeez.

CW

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Not starting a plywood debate...just a fact about the cheaper grades of plywood.
CW

Oh come on man it might be just as fun as debating foam, epoxy, vasiline, paint or tin vs. glass. :facepalm: Jas would probably jump right in to promote it on a new thread.:rolleyes:

Seriously...I see your point but if well epoxied, painted, varnished or glassed it should still last longer than I'd want to keep the boat. We tend to way over design some things and i'm guilty of that too. It's cool to make things bullet proof but for me sometimes it's not worth the cost of out doing the manufacturer many times over. My 2 cents.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Oh come on man it might be just as fun as debating foam, epoxy, vasiline, paint or tin vs. glass. :facepalm: Jas would probably jump right in to promote it on a new thread.:rolleyes:

Seriously...I see your point but if well epoxied, painted, varnished or glassed it should still last longer than I'd want to keep the boat. We tend to way over design some things and i'm guilty of that too. It's cool to make things bullet proof but for me sometimes it's not worth the cost of out doing the manufacturer many times over. My 2 cents.

Oh I agree with ya, I've done so many restores and seen super crappy work from the factory, and yet it lasted for 20 years, but I am one of those idiots that go for the "I can do better" line of thinking. True many times it just ain't necessary, but hey, just the fact that we are sinking hours of labor and thousands of dollars into a boat that is worth $500.00 tells it all. Ain't none of us quite right...:)

CW

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Right on brother! Well put.

StevenT

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh I agree with ya, I've done so many restores and seen super crappy work from the factory, and yet it lasted for 20 years, but I am one of those idiots that go for the "I can do better" line of thinking. True many times it just ain't necessary, but hey, just the fact that we are sinking hours of labor and thousands of dollars into a boat that is worth $500.00 tells it all. Ain't none of us quite right...:)

CW

LOL nice post. I think we do it ourselves because we want it done right!!!!

fishrdan

Admiral

Don't forget Miss O.S.B. A 65 Footer made from Oriented Strand Board and Epoxy.

http://www.boatcan.com/showboat.php?ad=1242160836

Not to mention, it's a whole lot cheaper!!!!!:eek::D

BAhhh,

If you want cheap, the Mythbusters built a boat out of frozen newspaper :D

mythbusters-boat-3-0509.jpg

BonairII

Commander

they seemed to have no shortage at Lowes (CA).

My local Lowe's told me a couple weeks ago that they were no longer going to carry it. I wonder if this is just the case for my local area Lowe's or it's company wide.

My local Lowe's told me a couple weeks ago that they were no longer going to carry it. I wonder if this is just the case for my local area Lowe's or it's company wide.

I am going to swing into Lowes today and ask, if that's a company wide thing I am going to buy the rest of the wood I need I guess.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Was at my local Lowes this morning, and they still have an ample stock of the Arauco. The salesperson (not impressed with him), said he wasn't aware of any shortages, as they have several skids in stock...

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Last night my Lowe's still had it in 15/32 only. We better get what we need before the furniture builders find out about this.

fishingron

Seaman

Very funny!! But it is true and I can relate!!! I am pretty new to this restoration type of hobby? that so easily saps up hours, weeks and days of time from my schedule. It keeps me away from the honey do list too so it requires a fine balancing act! I am restoring my 1968 Chieftan and learning that they did not have expoxy resins back then and yet that old probably just plain painted plywood used in the transom lasted a long time. BUT, I too am guilty of wanting to restore it to last an even longer time and will pay more money than I should too on those materials to make it so. Let's not add in the fact that I also suffer from the constant desire to want a bigger boat "someday", so who knows how long how I will have this boat that will be restored to make it into the next ice age. Friends and family say I am crazy for wanting to spend so much time, money and effort into restoring an old boat, but it is what I like to do! So the decision is there now......do I cut the long grass or do I work on the boat???? That's easy.......work on the boat!!! LOL