Bimini Tops for 1970s Starcrafts - any recommendations

marcusknight

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just about as simple as the title. I have a 1979 16ft Starcraft and I have no experience with Bimini Tops. Can anyone recommend a good one and an appropriate size for this type of boat?

100_5470.jpg

bgc

Ensign
Re: Bimini Tops for 1970s Starcrafts - any recommendations

They have tops for sale here at iboats, just measure and order. Personally I went with a custom fitted one made at a local boat upholstery shop.

dozerII

Admiral

Hey Marcus, they are pretty simple, the height measurement is from the top of the gunwals, so if your floor to gunwal height is 18"and the top is 48"you will have 66" of head room approximatley. A 6 foot should be long enough. When you mount it on the boat the leading edge of the top should be slightly lower than the rear so it doesn't act like a parachute on the lake. If you can afford it, order a set of rear support poles, it will make the top more stable and allow you to run with it folded back but not laying on the gunwals and splashwell.
Glen

Moody Blue

Captain

Agree that the 6ft long size is right for your size boat. The height is the big question. I bought mine just tall enough that I can standup under it. I didn't want to be ducking under it all the time. The taller the top, the less shade coverage you will get from it however.

Another dimension to be aware of is the width of the mounting points. Determine where you want/need to attach it to the boat and measure the width at that point.

I bought the slider tracks for mine so that I can position the top forward and rearward about 3ft to suit my needs.

marcusknight

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks again Glen. I assume the measurement of 18 is from your Starcraft? Just curious because I am away from my boat right now and cant measure currently.

marcusknight

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Has anyone ever attached the kind of canopy that snaps onto the windshield on this kind of boat?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

The ones that attach to the windshield, are called convertible tops.
They look nice, and offer better protection, especially from wind and rain, but are terribly low, restrict access in an out of the drivers seat.

And they usually have to be custom made, so all the snaps line up.

chuckndiscs

Petty Officer 1st Class

I went with the same model as EZ did, mentioned above. 77" beams with the 6ft length. I think it works great and I believe it to be better suited than the convertible tops BECAUSE if you fish or use the open bow, the convertible can be a pain. They don't offer any sort of splash protection like the convertible does, so if your pounding waves or such then one of those might be better fitted.

Chuck