1974 85 hp Johnson controls problems

GPSDuckHunter

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1974 85hp Johnson. I am sick and tired of the controls. It seems every other time we take it out, I have to take it completely apart and get the sprockets/gear/cog (whatever you call it) realigned so they work correctly. The controls are also very tight I throttle response feels more like guesswork than anything else.

I think I've had enough trying to get these controls to work correctly. Can I just buy new or used controls and replace the original setup? The original controls came with a fast idle lever, a toggle switch for choke, and no kill switch.

Is there a certain set of controls that would work better than others?

Thanks for all the help.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1974 85 hp Johnson controls problems

Look in the "Top Secret File" at the top of the page, there is a list of salvage yards there, give some of them a call and see if they can help you out.

GPSDuckHunter

Seaman Apprentice

Look in the "Top Secret File" at the top of the page, there is a list of salvage yards there, give some of them a call and see if they can help you out.

I appreciate the recommendation, but I'm not sure it answers my question about whether I can simply swap out old controls for any other controls I can get my hands on.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Your control box uses a large red plug to plug in at the engine. That common plug was used up through the 1995 model year. They are all the same. If your cables are stiff and part of the problem, they are not all the same. The shift/throttle cable ends changed (went to a new design) in 1979. You'll have to may need to change/modify them if you get a newer box. Many newer boxes come with the trim switch in the handle. If you don't have power trim, it's not a problem. If you have the old style trim system, it's handy to get a used box with the trim switch in the handle and rewire the trim switch from the dash.