Question about wiring a depth finder.

ambrose

Cadet
Under the dash I have a spare place for the power could I just put in a 5amp fuse and hook the power up there? and then just run the ground wire to the ground block under the dash?

Thank-you.:)

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Question about wiring a depth finder.

Yes! Just remember you'll have to use the unit's power switch to power it down so you don't run down the battery.

ambrose

Cadet

Thank you, why is it nothing turns off with the key off?

NYBo

Admiral

In a properly wired boat, the fuse block is wired directly to a battery. Ignition switches can't handle the amount of current all the accessories can draw. The ignition switch, which is powered separately through the motor's electrical system, generally only powers the gauges plus the starter solenoid. And the ignition, if the motor doesn't have a magneto.

EricJRW

Chief Petty Officer

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but don't some boats have a switch to kill the power to the accessories (except bilge, if applicable)? If not, it would be easy enough to do, just size the switch appropriately.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Many newer boats indeed have a MASTER switch to kill all the accessories. It is also a simple matter to install a battery disconnect swtich which kills everything on the boat except anything that would be wired directly to the battery ahead of the switch.