Belt Question

kstone803

Recruit
I have a 99 mercruiser 3.0 and the alternator belt blew last week. I went to change it today and thought it would be easy as I have been researching how to do it. I saw the diagram at the link below and figured I could do it in under an hour. Then I got to taking things apart and realized I had no clue how to get the outer belt off to slip the new alternator belt in. Do I need to remove the 4 bolts on the water pump pulley? Or is there a bracket to slide the larger coolant pulley on the left side? Thanks for the help and sorry if this has been covered but i've been looking for hours and didn't find anything.

Diagram I saw earlier.

http://forums.iboats.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=95916&d=1306706988

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant
Re: Belt Question

Is that diagram like your motor? If so then you have to remove the power steering belt first.... then loosen your alt brackets... so your alt moves..then install new belt and rev the procedure.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You loosen the power steering pump, remove it's belt, then you can get to the alternator belt.

kstone803

Recruit

You loosen the power steering pump, remove it's belt, then you can get to the alternator belt.

OK. Any diagram on what bolts to loosen on this? Also it appears the pump would run into a coolant hose. Does this come off? Thanks for all the quick answers

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

There is a slotted arm at the top of the pump, and a bolt it pivots on. Loosen them. Push the pump towards the engine until you get enough slack to remove the belt. The hose will probably bend enough without removing it.

kstone803

Recruit

There is a slotted arm at the top of the pump, and a bolt it pivots on. Loosen them. Push the pump towards the engine until you get enough slack to remove the belt. The hose will probably bend enough without removing it.

We tried that today but weren't sure if it was correct so tomm I'll go back and get it done. Thanks for the quick answers. You really are the Oracle by the sea lol.