What does this look like to you?

BigHE

Seaman Apprentice
Does this look like JB Weld to you? I am in the process of rebuilding/restoring my 1985 140HP V4 VRO and I found this inside.

JBWeld.jpg

The motor ran, it had a rough idle and turns out that one of the pistons/cylinders was shot.

I need to remove the powerhead, but fear that its not going to be easy with that "weld." Any suggestions?

Does anyone know where I can get the puller and the lifting eye to lift the powerhead straight off?

Thanks.

duke33

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: What does this look like to you?

Yes, it does/is. As for the other I can't help. Good Luck.

BigHE

Seaman Apprentice

Damn! That's what I thought. I've never used it before, but heard it can be a beast to get off.

BigHE

Seaman Apprentice

It goes all the way around to the other side too.

busted-bayliner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Damn! That's what I thought. I've never used it before, but heard it can be a beast to get off.
it can be but that stuff is sandable so it shouldnt be to hard to get off. question is why is it there???

BigHE

Seaman Apprentice

I wondered the same thing. The only thing I have purchased for the rebuild is the Service Manual so far. I won't go any farther until its completely disassembled and all the parts are inspected. This is my first time taking on an outboard, so it'll be a learning experience regardless. Every step has been photographed and recorded with video.

BigHE

Seaman Apprentice

Sand it off huh? Hopefully is was just used as a seal on the outside and its not between the block and the midsection. I'll give it shot.

daselbee

Commander

Man, are you kidding? That stuff will pop right off. Pick it straight up, as much as you can.

The previous owner probably wanted to fill pits and crevices...there is no way that JBWeld will hold on.
The normal and natural bonding and corrosion will hold it more tightly than the JBWeld.

But, after the repairs are done to the p'head, feel free to JBWeld the pits, etc, and sand smooth before you re-set the p'head.
Re-set it with a good Evinrude base gasket, and you will be fine.

I have used JBWeld between the cylinder head and the block to fill pits. Sand smooth, torque head...good to go. JBWeld is good to around 250 degrees....and these engines run 140-160 or so....

BigHE

Seaman Apprentice

daselbee,

Good to know. That's why I asked the pros. Thanks.