johnson 35 long to short

rampage11

Cadet
been doing some reading on converting long shaft outboards to short shaft outboards.. im looking at purchasing a 2001 johnson 35 but its long and i need short and i have yet to find a short.or a short 3 cylinder of any brand for that . what r cost and difficulty of this?

gonefishin485

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: johnson 35 long to short

this probably isnt the answer your going to want to hear, but figuratively speaking im in the same boat you are, i have a short cut transom on my boat but can only find long shaft motors in the horse power range i want. i looked into converting a long shaft to a short shaft but if i remember correctly, the only thing thats the same with both is the power head and the clamp bracket. the center section and lower unit are different lengths. now if you happened to find a short shaft with a blown power head, then yeah id say by all means go for it, but otherwise, my best suggestion to you would be to looking into a jack plate. if you or one of your friends is good with metal work, you could make your own. the way i look at it, a jack plate kills two birds with one stone, it will raise that short shaft up to the height you need it, and if you do come across a short shaft motor to work on your boat in the future, you just unbolt the jack plate and bolt your new motor on.

rampage11

Cadet
Re: johnson 35 long to short

already running a jack plate.. im running a south forks pocket tunnel.. if i used long shaft motor motor would be 2 foot above boat.. figured it would be more work then im lookin for.. thanx for in put though