Please help me identify these three ignition wires (Black, Red, Pink or maybe purple)

mistertwister87

Seaman Apprentice
1992 Evinrude 120 V4

Washington-20120530-00064.jpgI have 3 wires coming out of my ignition. One is black, one is red and one is pink or purple(I believe). The pink/pruple one looks white in this picture because it is sun-faded, but as I trace it under the console it turns pink or purple (sun-faded). The pink/purple one is smaller diameter than the black and Red.

I have traced these to where they end up.

- Black one goes to the "G" post on the Tach.

- Bigger diameter Red goes to the "Pul" post on the Tach and that is it.

- Pink or purple one is spilced a few times but ultimatly feeds the "+12" or "I" (depending on gauge) post on the Trim gauge, Fuel gauge or Tach.

Can someone tell me what these wires are (assuming black = Ground, Red = pos, but not sure about the pink. And no this is not the pink fuel sender wire, I already know where that is located.

WernerF

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Please help me identify these three ignition wires (Black, Red, Pink or maybe pur

Black = Ground
Red should be gray = tach signal (pulse) from rectifier or regulator
Purple = +12V via key switch, voltage is present when key is in ignition position

mistertwister87

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Please help me identify these three ignition wires (Black, Red, Pink or maybe pur

Thank you!

Should the black (ground) be run to the fuse panel first and then run from the fuse panel to all of the gauges grounds? Or should I bypass the fuse panel and run to one gauge ground post and daisychain from there?

How about the +12, go through the fuse panel or bypass and just daisychain on the +12/I posts?

I wonder why the other owner changed the wire color from Gray to Red, also looks like it is 12 Gauge in stead of 16. Will this cause a problem. Tach works fine right now.

Thanks again!

WernerF

Petty Officer 1st Class

Electrically there is no difference. If you have a terminal block available for +12 and ground then use them. It makes it easier to add another gauge or to make a repair.

A thicker wire is no problem at all.

Most likely the motor came with only the purple wire equipped for the trim gauge. The tach was added later and the previous owner took some wires he had got, black and red.