Volvo Penta 8.1 gxi less that 1 hour will not start

havasuonthelake

Recruit
Help, please. I Just took out my brand new 2012 boat equiped with a new 8.1 gxi 400hp. Everything is brand new. Started up the first time right away. Drove about 2 miles stopped, started up again right away. Drove another 5 miles and stopped, started up again right away. Finally, drove another 5-6 miles, stopped and that was it. I have power to all the auxillary rocker switches (blower, nav lights, ect.) but no power to the spedometer, tachometer, or sterio?? Checked every fuse, terminal, neutral position.....nothing. Doesnt make sense why I had power all morning and still have power to the auxillary switches, but not to the spedo, tach, stereo or starter??? Took the negitive terminal off the battery for 10 minutes trying to reset everything, but it did not help. Stuck on the lake for 6 hours. Volvo was no help, no sugestions, just "take it to your dealer" 1700 miles away.

One interesting observatioin was that the active corrosion protection (acp) top light is green and the bottom light is red. However I am in fresh water and I don't think this would kill power to the starter.

What should I try or check nex?

Thanks

mlpaskett

Seaman
Re: Volvo Penta 8.1 gxi less that 1 hour will not start

I would definitely take it to a dealer...it is brand new. Let them figure it out on their dollar. I gotta believe that there is a Volvo dealer closer than 1700 miles. Where are you? Havasu? Sounds to me like there would be a Volvo dealer right in town.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Volvo was no help, no sugestions, just "take it to your dealer" 1700 miles away.

You don't have to take it to the selling dealer, any Volvo dealer can do warranty work on your engine and drive.

havasuonthelake

Recruit

THANK YOU iboats and specificall "SILVERTIP". I read this thread from silvertip on iboats back from 2003!

"The fuse panel is not the place to start looking since the gauges and ignition switch are not powered from it. They are powered by the engine harness that runs from the engine to the switch, then to the gauges. The fuse/breaker in the engine compartment is the likely culprit."

So I went back to the engine compartment....again. The large 90 amp fuse directly from the battery was ok. Continued looking. Large postitive starter wire was ok. However, the small starter solenoid wire leading to the ignition feed into a wire harness at the back lower portion of the engine with, what else, a 25 amp fuse! Blown of course.

All fixed!

Thank you iboads and silvertip. Nice to know that the gauges and ignition switch are NOT powered from the fuse panel.