Can dent in motor mount cause prop ventilation

natedog337

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Still trying to figure out my new this season ventilation issue.. Last season motor trimmed half way up wit no ventilation issues. This season I Must trim motor almost all the way down to not ventilate. I added a 13 lb crone under front deck ladder during off season but I can't seem to think that is causing it. I also had my toons painted and the marina doing to job slightly hit my motor mount with a fork lift causing a small dent in the front lower corner of the engine mount, seems so small and they painted it but I'm still grasping at straws trying to figure this out. My boat sits the same In The water as far as I can tell and I've Already ruled out the spun Hub theory...

catfishcarl99

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Can dent in motor mount cause prop ventilation

ya i was gonna suggest checking the hub. if you have already checked that maybe a possible exaust leak around prop. i have a non exaust thru prop. solid hud. my exaust snout is right above my prop and wiggled loose last season. one bold came out as i stopped. when i tried to go the snout had prop blocked and it killed engine. i trolled to shore where all i had the tools to do was unscrew the other removing the snout. then every time i tried to go more than about 5 mph the exaust gasses cavitated prop causing the spun hub effect. i read up on it and found out that leaks of exaust gasses around a prop can cause cavitation. just a thought to look into.

natedog337

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ya i was gonna suggest checking the hub. if you have already checked that maybe a possible exaust leak around prop. i have a non exaust thru prop. solid hud. my exaust snout is right above my prop and wiggled loose last season. one bold came out as i stopped. when i tried to go the snout had prop blocked and it killed engine. i trolled to shore where all i had the tools to do was unscrew the other removing the snout. then every time i tried to go more than about 5 mph the exaust gasses cavitated prop causing the spun hub effect. i read up on it and found out that leaks of exaust gasses around a prop can cause cavitation. just a thought to look into.

My question is could it be an exhaust even tgough when I trim motor all the way down it does not ventilate/cavitate???

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

. I added a 13 lb crone under front deck ladder during off season

Not sure what that is but if its in the water it could be causing a good bit of extra drag, but it sounds like the only change.

Pictures would help.