Sportjet 120 won't start

jdana29

Recruit
My boat stopped today just as it was on a rise to plane. I re-trailered it and took it back to house. Here's what I've done so far. Check all four plugs, all are firing. Checked 20 amp fuse and landyard, all are good. Removed fuel screen on motor,,,there I found some debris. Cleaned it, and re-installed. Oil is at 3/4 to 7/8 full and working. Before I return to water for a try, any comments??? Or should I head for shop now? Thanks in advance, Jon

searay3

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Sportjet 120 won't start

sounds like fuel delivery. How old is the fuel line and does it have any radical turns in it. Try sucking a soda out of a straw with a pinhole in it. Pretty tough. Same for your motor...<br />Filters, lines etc from tank to carb are of concern.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

DO NOT start that motor out of the water without the CORRECT flush kit. the kit on the side to hook a hose to is NOT the correct one.<br /> maybe JB will kick it to force forum.<br /> also index the flywheel. use a small screwdriver on the #1 piston and see if the timing mark on the flywheel agrees with the pistons mechanical position.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Check in the Mecury outboard section as most of the Mecury Sport Jet info is there.<br /><br />You need to check for spark first as they have ignition system issues.<br /><br />Ken

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hahahaah. ign system issues? your to kind :) :) <br /> sold mirage boats by sugar sand marine for about 5 years, well bossman sold them I just got tasked to keeping them running in the saltpond.