1960's 65hp Merc 650 Stuck in forward gear

JimboAZ

Cadet
Hello, I have not been on the forum in a while seeing as I had to move and sell my last project before it was even under way! But fear not I have acquired a new project. From what I know it is a 1965 Glasspar Gold Cup with a 64hp Mercury 650 four. I believe it?s the original motor. Nothing has been modified updated or changed from what I can tell with the research ive done. The hull is solid and in great shape, the floor is solid, the motor starts and runs well, sounds great? even the gelcoat polishes up nice. Im told it was in a barn covered for 35+ years and the guy I got it from had it on the water the last five years. Said he always had a buddy do routine maintenance and never had a problem. Then a shift cable frayed and broke on him .. the boats in gear .. and he had a kid .. and was moving blah blah its mine now.

Sooo, heres where I hoping for some help. I have disconnected the old cables and as I manually try to move the shift lever out of gear it won?t budge. I mean theres a bit of play but it won?t go all the way out of gear into neutral, ive been spinning the prop and what not as I do this but no luck. I tried to shift it with the motor running as well with the same result. What could be my issues, im thinking bent linkage maybe? Where should I begin troubleshooting? Any help at all is very appreciated! i took some pics i will add later...

fmfmedic

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1960's 65hp Merc 650 Stuck in forward gear

Hi, I'm almost as new as you are, but I have a couple suggestions. check the oil in the lower unit. If there isn't any, you may have a rust problem. When shifting out of forward, the shift cam pushes the sliding clutch, on the prop shaft, backward to neutral and then to reverse. If something blocks that movement, like rust, it won't go out of forward. IF there is no oil, or it has metal bits in it, you'll have to pull the gears out of the lower unit and inspect. Personally, given the number of years it's been sitting, I'd go ahead and pull the entire lower unit and replace the impeller, water pump gaskets and lower unit seal kit. All are available here at iboats, and they don't cost much. Better get a manual first and DON'T lose, exchange, or misplace any shims from the gear case or water pump. I did, and I truly regret it. Good luck.