1965 9.5HP Evinrude spark plug question

Calypso1

Recruit
I need to change out the spark plugs on my motor. It has J-4J champion plugs now. I understand the the replacement is J4C champion. But I've heard that these are very hot plugs and may cause issues. Is this the correct replacement plug? I'm not sure if the source of this information is very reliable.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1965 9.5HP Evinrude spark plug question

Both the same heat range and will work. The C is a copper tipped plug.

Davem3

Chief Petty Officer

Johnson and Evinrudes LOVE Champion plugs and HATE everything else, tested that theory last year, and expensive test at that as well..........

Calypso1

Recruit

Thanks for the great info!! I've also heard that Evinrude loves Champion and nothing else.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

I need to change out the spark plugs on my motor. It has J-4J champion plugs now. I understand the the replacement is J4C champion. But I've heard that these are very hot plugs and may cause issues. Is this the correct replacement plug? I'm not sure if the source of this information is very reliable.

As you've already been advised, the J4J has been superseded up to the J4C plug, gapped at .030 . There is also an alternative plug recommended by OMC which is the Champion J6C plug, also to be gapped at .030. This J6C plug may be used should you encounter excessive fouling, etc of the J4C plug.