oiling issue, I think!

32sunsation

Recruit
I have a 1999 Johnson 115hp SPL. It seems that when there is a long period of time between using (such as, over the winter lay-up), oil is coming from somewhere. I noticed this last week when I went to get the boat ready for the first start-up of the season. There was a fair sized oil stain on the ground. I pulled the top screw on the drive to check the drive fluid. None came out. I re-installed the top screw and removed the bottom, to screw in the pump ( no sign of water in the drive ). Removed the top plug again. It only took one pump to reach overflow. After having some difficulty, the engine started. Smoked like a freight train....... Slowly cleared after several minutes of running on the hose. I changed to spark plugs after clearing. Used the boat over the holiday weekend. Never saw any oil film in the water and no loss of drive fluid. Is it possible for the oil to be coming from the oil injection system. Is there a way to release the pressure on the system when not in use? Thanks, Jay

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: oiling issue, I think!

There should not be any pressure on the oil injection system. When the boat is layed up for a while, gas will evaporate, leaving a mixture in the carbs of more oil than usual.

Smell the stuff on the ground. If it stinks, it is gear oil. If not, it is 2 cycle oil and likely normal.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: oiling issue, I think!

If you had the mtr fogged out before putting it away it could be the excees oil from that.