Metal Flake Help? how to do metalflake gelcoat

im doing a resto project on an old fiberglass speedboat and i want it to be a sparkly teal color. im probably gonna sand it down to the fiberglass, but i need to know what to do from there. i have all the tools and supplies cuz my grandpa in law owns an auto shop. what primer, sealant, paint, gel coat, and how to mix the metal flake or what?

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Metal Flake Help? how to do metalflake gelcoat

hi.......you are in the right place...

iboats dry dock will guide you thru all the steps and clear up any misconceptions you have.

ill move this thread so the guys can have a go at it.

cheers.......and welcome to iboats

also, can i seal, prime, and paint the boat, then use clear gel coat w/metal flake over the paint? will gel coat adhere to paint?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

let me start by saying.....what you want to do is a real pita.....its not like painting a car.
it will take 20x longer and more labour.

some people would rather lay in a ditch and stick pins in there eyes before a full gell shoot.
those of us that do it for a living....dont mind as much....but its still work.....and lots of it.

click the link in my sig....and use the index for gellcoating the boat.......then start reading.

when you use metal flake.....the job takes much longer.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Gelcoat should only be applied over prepped or unwaxed resin. Automotive spray guns are kinda useless. The color comes from the flake. Then massive loads of clear applied over that. Sand until flat and proceed to buff. Flake jobs tend to break down faster than one color jobs.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Prime and use some metallic paint to color.. You will be much better off than doing flake Gel..

YD.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Do not sand it down to the fiberglass, this can create big problems, only sand the surface enough for the new gel coat or paint to stick.

Doing a metal flake finish is difficult and time consuming. First you spray down the color layer, then a layer of clear mixed with flake, then enough layers of clear over it to ensure you don't sand through to the flake layer. You will need to get bigger tips for the gun so the flake will go through without plugging, plus the look of the flake layer can change depening on how you apply it, so if done poorly it may look blotchy or uneven. If you mess up at any point, even in the final sanding and buffing, you may need to start the entire process over again.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Its actually a base coat..then a base with flake..then clear.. but who's counting ;) ..

Its really not for a DIY'er doing Flake .. thats why I suggested some metallic paint :) .

YD.