1987 mercruiser 350 mag throttle bog

Moe_fix_it

Cadet
I just picked up my first boat, it is a 1987 four winns 211 liberator. I have done a little searching but can't seem to find anything that goes over what im experiencing. First off (this dosnt have to do with the bogging) when trying to start the boat, usally first fire up of the day or after it has been sitting, the starter will just click. If I keep turning off the key 3to 4 times it will usally engage. The battey is fully charged but it is by no means a new battery.
now for my real issue. While on plane around 25-30mph if I give it WOT it will just about die then it takes off. Not sure what to start checking. Also what should be the max rpm for this motor? Im hitting about 4krpm at 51mph with a 21p mirage prop.
if this has already been covered I am sorry and if you could point me in the right direction.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1987 mercruiser 350 mag throttle bog

I just picked up my first boat, it is a 1987 four winns 211 liberator. I have done a little searching but can't seem to find anything that goes over what im experiencing. First off (this dosnt have to do with the bogging) when trying to start the boat, usally first fire up of the day or after it has been sitting, the starter will just click. If I keep turning off the key 3to 4 times it will usally engage. The battey is fully charged but it is by no means a new battery.
now for my real issue. While on plane around 25-30mph if I give it WOT it will just about die then it takes off. Not sure what to start checking. Also what should be the max rpm for this motor? Im hitting about 4krpm at 51mph with a 21p mirage prop.
if this has already been covered I am sorry and if you could point me in the right direction.

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... Yer Startin' issue is bad or corroded wiring ends....

Yer Boggin' problem is probably Carb related.... A rebuild, 'n Retunin' oughta fix it...

Rpm, at Wot, should be in the 4400/ 4800 rpm range...
Yer either down on Power, or over-proped...

Moe_fix_it

Cadet
Re: 1987 mercruiser 350 mag throttle bog

Thank you!
How hard are the qudrajet carbs to rebuild or are there better carbs to replace them with?
And I've also put new spark plugs in and pulled the cap and cleaned the points and that seemed to help alot, I also ran almost an entire bottle of carb cleaner threw the carb and it helped but still hasn't gone away fully.