1995 OMC/Volvo Penta 5.0 50FAPHUE

I have a 1995 Chris Craft Concept 19. It has a Volvo Penta 5.0 that is based on the Ford 302 block. Model 50FAPHUE with a SX drive. My Alternator is only at 11.9 volts when the motor is running.

All of my connections are clean and I suspect that I will need to replace this alternator. I am new to boats but fairly handy and will do the replacement myself.

Does anyone know what is the part number for the replacement alternator? Should I replace with a higher output alternator than what came on it originally. Any recommendations on a good replacement alternator. I would like it to last a while.

What is the difference between a marine alternator and a standard alternator and do I need to replace with a marine alternator.

Thanks for your help

Bob

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1995 Volvo Penta 5.0 50FAPHUE

You actually have an OMC, not a Volvo. You can look up your model number and parts here http://epc.brp.com/Index.aspx?lang=E&s1=b1e07aa4-00c1-4585-aa44-915491570da6&brands=ej to get the proper OEM number for the alternator.
You may find it much less expensive to take your aternator to your local starter/alternator/electric motor shop for repairs.

A marine alternator is ignition protected, which means it's shielded internally from sparking to prevent any gas fumes that could be in the bilge from igniting and going boom.

Thank you Don

Would it be beneficial to get a higher output alternator or do you think the OEM alternator will be sufficient.

The only additions that I have made to the boat is a small fish finder/ depth finder.

Thanks for the idea of taking it to the alternator shop. I would much rather pay someone local to fix it rather than to buy an aftermarket part that was made overseas.

Thanks

Bob

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The standard alternator is fine.