5.7 omc switch to 5.7 merc

jeffbwl

Cadet
I have a 1988 four winns with a 5.7 litre omc motor that just took a dump and i am looking to replace it but before i go dropping a ton of money into a remanufactured motor there is a 5.7 litre merc motor for a fraction of the cost of the remanufactured one.How much work would it take to switch it over the guy selling the motor says it will bolt right up because they both are chevy 5.7 litres and both have 1 piece rear mains and if he is right is there anything else i have to change to make the switch? any and all information is greatly needed and appreciated

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: 5.7 omc switch to 5.7 merc

the guy is right - just bolt all your OMC externals to the engine. underneath all the bolt-ons they are the same year to year.

jeffbwl

Cadet
Re: 5.7 omc switch to 5.7 merc

so what you are saying is all i have to do is bolt on all the externall parts from my omc to merc and thats it i dont have to chaneg cables gears or anything for the sterndrive it will bolt right up? and by the way thank you so much for the info knowing that it will work i'll be back in the water alot faster now hopefully