Proper hose type needed for repair

Vinnys

Seaman
Hello all. I have an oil filter relocation kit from volvo penta on my 1996 5.8L volvo penta FL engine.
I developed a pin hole in the low pressure side of the relocation kits rubber line. Once removed I see it is a 5/8th in SAE gates hose with the same cross section as a heater hose. Single ply with a single stitching on the mid line of the cross section. Is this the type of hoe I can use or do I need a higher pressure type such as a fuel line? The stock hose form 1996 was quite brittle. I have a lenght of gates heater hose on for now and it is holding.

Ga Farmer

Cadet
Re: Proper hose type needed for repair

Heater hose will probably work for a while, but I went ahead and sprang for high pressure hydraulic hose (about $65 for a 4 ft length) for both of mine. I didn't want to have to worry about them.

Vinnys

Seaman

Ga Farmer,
Thanks. I just came from the hydraulic shop with a newly purchased length of high pressure/ temp hose to get through the season. I plan to have the same shop do both lines with at the end of the season. Not worth the worry of losing the life blood of the engine. I will keep the heater hose as aback up.

Vinny

Ga Farmer

Cadet

Hey Vinny

Yeah, that's what I thinking. Its expensive I know but an engine costs a WHOLE lot more!
Not to mention the inconvenience!! Good luck!